cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix Scar II Battery Life Issue

hockeypicklees2
Level 7
So I just bought a GL504G for school so I had a powerful workstation and have a great gaming experience. Of course the trade off is battery. In low power mode and on power saver, I get about an hour of laptop life. That's just surfing the web during classes. Is there a battery upgrade for this laptop and how much better is the battery life?

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

xeromist
Unfortunately the battery is not upgradeable. I would recommend using a windows 10 power mode for battery life vs performance, dim the screen, and close any background apps you don't need. These machines aren't really designed to operate on battery for very long though so even if you do everything you can to save battery you will still only get a couple of hours.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Unfortunately the battery is not upgradeable. I would recommend using a windows 10 power mode for battery life vs performance, dim the screen, and close any background apps you don't need. These machines aren't really designed to operate on battery for very long though so even if you do everything you can to save battery you will still only get a couple of hours.

bad tips man...he says that he's laptop during the web browsing last only 1 hour, and this is totally DIFFERENT from what you post that is totally generic and useless to his resolution... as i siad to him probably hi's nvidia gpu remains active even on battery impeding nvidia optimus to operate and save energy.

gieffe22 wrote:
bad tips man...he says that he's laptop during the web browsing last only 1 hour, and this is totally DIFFERENT from what you post that is totally generic and useless to his resolution... as i siad to him probably hi's nvidia gpu remains active even on battery impeding nvidia optimus to operate and save energy.

I provided generic tips because he did not specify the exact model. It's my understanding that the GTX 1070 model doesn't have optimus. But I don't know which he has, do you?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I provided generic tips because he did not specify the exact model. It's my understanding that the GTX 1070 model doesn't have optimus. But I don't know which he has, do you?

the 504 and 704 series have all optimus if i don't remember wrong... at least 1060-2060 and 2070 model have for sure (i have a 704gw with 2070 and there's optimus, my battery last beetween 3 and 5 hours, depends by type of usage)

gieffe22 wrote:
the 504 and 704 series have all optimus if i don't remember wrong... at least 1060-2060 and 2070 model have for sure (i have a 704gw with 2070 and there's optimus, my battery last beetween 3 and 5 hours, depends by type of usage)

There's this reddit thread indicating people with a 504gs do not have optimus. That might be the only version without it though.
https://www.reddit.com/r/laptopgaming/comments/92ahzx/cannot_find_nvidia_optimus_option_or_intel_hd/

To squeezed extra battery life, you need to change the preferred graphics processor to "integrated graphics" on Nvidia's Control panel

I am baffled how bad you are in this subject giving advice.
ofcourse the real answer is to park you coreS!
you can use only 2 cores in windows / youtube / etc.. usage..
my advice is that you learn how to use quick cpu.

just google it and learn to use it 🙂

GL:)

chumacher wrote:
I am baffled how bad you are in this subject giving advice.
ofcourse the real answer is to park you coreS!
you can use only 2 cores in windows / youtube / etc.. usage..
my advice is that you learn how to use quick cpu.

just google it and learn to use it 🙂

GL:)

The difference is negligible. Don't bother.

Running on the iGPU (if possible), lowering the screen brightness, undervolting, enabling SpeedShift, unplugging devices and all that standard stuff would get you better results, but don't expect double the battery life just by doing this. No such thing as a miracle.

Here's a guide for those who really want to go hardcore on this battery saving stuff http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/guide-improving-battery-life-on-windows-enabling-deeper-c-st...

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
The difference is negligible. Don't bother.

Running on the iGPU (if possible), lowering the screen brightness, undervolting, enabling SpeedShift, unplugging devices and all that standard stuff would get you better results, but don't expect double the battery life just by doing this. No such thing as a miracle.

Here's a guide for those who really want to go hardcore on this battery saving stuff http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/guide-improving-battery-life-on-windows-enabling-deeper-c-st...

so you are saying that using youtube with 2 cores @ 1,2ghz instead of 6 cores with hyperthreading does not save power? oh how wrong you are.
ofcourse everyone knows that dimming your screen saves battery along with other things with this laptop.
People tend to forget that these laptops have iGPU disabled and they use gtx 1060 all the time BUT you need to remember to use adaptive @ nvidia 3d GLOBAL settings so the gtx 1060 core clock lowers to few hundred mhz.(put prefer maximum performance to EACH game profile, not to the global 3d settings page.)

in GL703GM they promise 4hour battery life in light use, it's just PURE lying from ASUS. i really want to see full 4 hour youtube video with only using battery.