cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gl 703 start restarting from pressing on keybord/shortcut?

CrazyNuttz
Level 7
So I've had my ASUS ROG Strix GL703G for a few months now, but recently it's been having a very crippling issue. Each time a key is pressed down with a little bit of force (a very light press is fine, but anything as hard as a typical typing press will cause it) the laptop instantly restarts to the bootup screen. Some of the keys don't cause this, but after testing it several times, it's the center area of the keyboard that causes this (keys R, T, Y, U, F, G, H, J, V, B, N, M, 4, 5, 6, 7, the spacebar sometimes, and even the little space between the touchpad and the spacebar). Basically, press down in that area, laptop restarts over and over and over. Sometimes it just restarts when its picked up or placed down onto a table. I'm suspecting those keys or something inside the frame is causing a short. Anybody have an idea to why this is happening and where I should go from here?
3 REPLIES 3

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Take it apart and try to figure out where exactly it is shorting. Shouldn't be too hard. It's probably the keyboard's aluminum backplate. Fix it as soon as you can because if you keep doing it will probably kill your laptop.

Mine also does that to from defect.have you already switch the padding around the laptop mousepad

I've had this laptop now for like 5 years thanks to your great advice. Cheers!