cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G531GT Keyboard stopped working after update

Kenjii1
Level 7
Hi, my laptop keyboard is totally dead after keyboard firmware tool 2.1.8 failed, now i can't use it neither in windows nor bios, and when i tried to reinstall it again, a message shows up saying that the system cannot find the file specified. Does anyone have a solution for this? I already tried everything and nothing seems to work.
12 REPLIES 12

Clintlgm
Level 14
Now would be a good time back up all your data, And attempt a Repair install
It would be great if you have a back up image of your C: Partition or complete OS SSD or hard drive
you might look for a restore point from before you attempted to upgrade the firmware

Kind of late now but Macrium Reflect Free would have bailed you out of this in 10 minutes or so. Tutorial how to use MR
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Can you plug in an external keyboard and get it to work?

This is the second or third time I have heard about this problem. That firmware fix should be removed from the ASUS Download Center.

The result is Windows misidentifying the keyboard. Manual replacement of the keyboard driver will fix the problem.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Can you plug in an external keyboard and get it to work?

This is the second or third time I have heard about this problem. That firmware fix should be removed from the ASUS Download Center.

The result is Windows misidentifying the keyboard. Manual replacement of the keyboard driver will fix the problem.

Yes external keyboard works

Go into the Device Manager and see what you have under Keyboards.

Here's my Device Manager, I have an external keyboard attached as well. You do not want to see any entry labeled ASUS Number Pad.

Your internal keyboard is the PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key) entry. Do you have this entry?

Can you send picture of your Device Manager like mine?
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Go into the Device Manager and see what you have under Keyboards.

Here's my Device Manager, I have an external keyboard attached as well. You do not want to see any entry labeled ASUS Number Pad.

Your internal keyboard is the PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key) entry. Do you have this entry?

I only have HID Keyboard Device

Right-click on one of the HID Keyboard Device entries and select Properties, click Update Driver, then browse my computer for driver software, let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer, remove check in box to show compatible hardware, on left side click on standard keyboards, on right side select PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key), click Next, then Yes Let the driver load, return to Device Manager, Action Tab, Scan for hardware changes.

Let me know how that worked.
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Right-click on one of the HID Keyboard Device entries and select Properties, click Update Driver, then browse my computer for driver software, let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer, remove check in box to show compatible hardware, on left side click on standard keyboards, on right side select PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key), click Next, then Yes Let the driver load, return to Device Manager, Action Tab, Scan for hardware changes.

Let me know how that worked.

Unfortunately it didn't work 😞

In Device Manager, Keyboards, do you now have a yellow explanation point next to the keyboard I had you setup?

If so then delete (delete software as well) every entry under the Keyboards (except the entry for your external keyboard), then Scan for hardware changes.

Now what is listed in Device Manager, Keyboards?
Homebuilt Windows Server

The ASUS Download Center website for your ROG Strix SCAR III G531GT does NOT have the keyboard firmware tool software you installed. Where did you get this software? Did you get the software through the MYASUS application?

It appears to affecting many people the same as yours.

Reinstalling Windows doesn't fix the problem. I'm guessing this firmware update is causing motherboard failure (keyboard).

If your laptop is still under warranty, I would return it for repair or replacement.

Good Luck
Homebuilt Windows Server