cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G701VO - Can't access UEFI bios

NickMDal
Level 7
Hi. I try to reboot to UEFI using...

Windows Recovery\UEFI settings restart button but am only taken to legacy 302 bios. I see an EFI filesystem option but no file is found when I try it.

Do I need to enable UEFI somehow even if Win10 says it is the default?

i7 6820HK processor
GTX 980
Win10 Home
6 REPLIES 6

NickMDal
Level 7
Anyone know why I can only get into Legacy bios?

Have you tried the instructions laid out in the STICKY (at the top of this forum) labeled Guide: How to install windows 8/8.1/10 The proper way (UEFI based installation)?
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

Thank you very much for replying. The laptop has lots installed and configured on it. Would hate to start fresh. Do you think the current install can be moved onto a correctly set up drive?

Well its 6 months later. Still don't understand how to convert an existing Win10 installation (missing UEFI) to include UEFI. Is there a safe way to take a drive image, add UEFI and then successfully restore the image?

I read through the suggested page but don't see what I would do next. I would so appreciate a nudge in the right direction!

OS Win 10 Home 18362.720

ASUS ROG Laptop G701VO 1TB SSD
17.3” IPS,G-Sync
i7-6820HK@ 2.7GHz
64GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (8GB GDDR5)

Return laptop to ASUS (RMA) or bring to local service for repair.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
NickMDal wrote:
Hi. I try to reboot to UEFI using...

Windows Recovery\UEFI settings restart button but am only taken to legacy 302 bios. I see an EFI filesystem option but no file is found when I try it.

Do I need to enable UEFI somehow even if Win10 says it is the default?

i7 6820HK processor
GTX 980
Win10 Home

Welcome to the forums!

It's a good idea to provide some pictures to be clear if not too much trouble, but you may want to explain what you mean when you say UEFI bios (others have asked before, so guessing as below).
ASUS provides only the bios that came with your G701VO, so you can't get a different bios although you can always update the bios version, but it's going to look the same.

Have you tried using your touchpad or mouse in the bios? It would not work in a non-UEFI, so you really have the UEFI bios that came with the unit and reinstalling Windows will not do anything to change the bios appearance.

=================

Sometimes people see the UEFI bios that come with our OPBG desktop motherboards including a lot more settings to overclock and do other things, but we never provide that kind of bios with those settings for our notebooks.

Others may sometimes find ways to do different things with the bios on their own, but it's not anything ASUS would recommend and can always cause bigger problems if things don't go as planned.

Hope this helps and feel free to discuss with others.