cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random appearing insertion cursor

geecee61
Level 7
For some time now I have been experiencing a (what I can only assume to be) flashing insertion cursor that appears randomly around my monitor(see attached photos) it appears in different places around the monitor screen each time, this comes spasmodically throughout the day, since it started I have changed my motherboard and graphic card and ssd to a Samsung MVNe but it still returns, I can only assume since I transferred my Win 10 OS using the Samsung cloning tool the problem migrated with my OS, I am only guessing it is an "insertion cursor" but would appreciate and help or insight into this
10 REPLIES 10

RedSector73
Level 12
My spider sense is tingling but let's first do the basics.

run as admin [powershell] (type into search bar, when you see it pop up, right click on it and run as admin)

sfc /scannnow

wait till complete
now run (still in powershell)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

wait till complete

if either found and fix integrity errors or corruptions, reboot and then repeat both steps again. If you get caught in loop then you have to consider either a fresh install (which will work) or reset that may also fail.

Let me know what happens and go from there.

geecee61
Level 7
Thank you I shall try your suggestions
tonight

Re
Level 10
Can you Tell me more specs of your System? Windows Version and build number. Graphics card and driver?
Had this too but it was a Windows and Nvidia Problem. And it is solved with actual windows and Nvidia driver*

Hi Re@per
I am using Win 10 64bit,build 10.0.18362 - 18362, I have a Asus Strix GTX1080 with version 436.48 driver, this has been ongoing before this graphic card the previous being an MSI GTX1080 Gaming, it would be interesting to hear how you solved this issue.

Thank you RedSector73, tried your fixes, sadly they did not cure the problem, but your imput was much appreciated

geecee61
Level 7
Hi Re@per
I am using Win 10 64bit,build 10.0.18362 - 18362, I have a Asus Strix GTX1080 with version 436.48 driver, this has been ongoing before this graphic card the previous being an MSI GTX1080 Gaming, it would be interesting to hear how you solved this issue.

Thank you RedSector73, tried your fixes, sadly they did not cure the problem, but your imput was much appreciated.

Re
Level 10
Can you update ur windows*build To 18362.387. are you using a g-Sync monitor? If your happens can you fix it with changing the resolution?

geecee61
Level 7
Yes I now have the 387 build, I use a ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q 27' running at 2560 x 1440(native) @ 60hz with gsync, but even on my previous monitor(not using gsync) I still had the issue using 1920 x 1080(native), but I have just tried a different resolution and the problem remains

Re
Level 10
Have you tried 165hz? And it’s happens randomly? Tried a fresh windows?*

geecee61
Level 7
Yes it is not always there, it appears randomly around different parts of the screen, I use 144hz on the monitor usually, I switch to 60hz when duplicating the monitor with my QLED tv, I noticed this happens more(though not always) when I have YouTube or some video playing medium open, but as I said not always, the picture I attached to this post is from just a static page.