cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I didnt use the BIOSRenamer

tomcoleman
Level 9
I recently downloaded the ROG-CROSSHAIR-VIII-FORMULA-ASUS-1001 BIOS for my ROG Crosshair VIII Formula x570 board

I flashed the file from a USB stick ROG-CROSSHAIR-VIII-FORMULA-ASUS-1001.CAP to my motherboard which seemd to flash fine.

HOWEVER i forgot to run the BIOSRenamer.exe to rename the BIOS file to C8F.CAP

Question:

Why do you need to rename the file?
If i didnt rename is the flash bad? :mad:
6 REPLIES 6

xeizo
Level 12
You only need to rename it if you use the Bios Flashback button on the back, to be sure the automatic flash routine uses the right file, and you DO NOT need the "BiosRenamer.exe" you just rename it in Explorer as you rename any file.
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

tomcoleman
Level 9
thanks

ozzed
Level 7
tomcoleman wrote:
I recently downloaded the ROG-CROSSHAIR-VIII-FORMULA-ASUS-1001 BIOS for my ROG Crosshair VIII Formula x570 board

I flashed the file from a USB stick ROG-CROSSHAIR-VIII-FORMULA-ASUS-1001.CAP to my motherboard which seemd to flash fine.

HOWEVER i forgot to run the BIOSRenamer.exe to rename the BIOS file to C8F.CAP

Question:

Why do you need to rename the file?
If i didnt rename is the flash bad? :mad:

As stated, no need to unless you use USB BIOS Flashback, and even then I think the renamer tool are for people who don't know what file extensions are, or who are unable to find the setting to show them in Windows Explorer.

lauretiu
Level 7
ok, guys, I have some trouble figuring this out. I have a rig Strix x570-e and I have 1405 bios flashed. for the life of me the PC would not flash it. it showed the bar with the process going very fast to complete and then the restart window pops up saying it was successful and the pc will restart. after that when I get back in bios the version is the same and not the 1407 or 1408 that i want to flash. i will try to use the flashback but can someone please tell me what would be the correct rename for mine? thank you

BigJohnny
Level 13
Bios naming doesn’t matter if you don’t have the flashback button. Just download, extract and put the file on a fat32 formatted USB drive and launch the update tool in the BIOS then select the BIOS on the stick you have inserted I tube correct USB port that is labeled BIOS.*

raju2529
Level 7
only the bios extensions name is important , your MB accepts only .CAP ,, whatever file names it may be , filename is not important but version is important
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754