Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array

I know its a bad picture but you can see the 8pin and the 4 pin really where plugged in. If you look close you can see the black cables to both of them. They blend with the case really well.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos 2012-02-25_10-08-57_870.jpg  

2012-02-25_10-08-57_870.jpg  

Last edited by mcj66106; 03-04-2012 at 08:44 AM.

ACHOS
    i7 3930K|Asus RIVE|Dominator GT 2133 x 16GB|GTX580 AC block|Corsair X128|Titanium Fatal1ty|AX1200 and HX1000|CaseLabs M8|HK 3.0 chrome|Win 7

Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa View Post
    In my humble opinion, you should quite while you are ahead and you're trying too hard to refute other possible explanations to the siutation aside from your own. Ever hear the phrase "Dost thou protest too loudly?"

It all boils down to taking your word for it anyways. You say you ran LLC "high" and voltage at "1.4v" but there is no way to prove it. You also cannot prove you PSU was not the culprit. Everyone reading this thread needs to take you on your word, and you are obviously motivated to protect an RMA claim on a $400 mobo. Just saying.

Rather than vehemently protest any and all possible explanations with rebuttals worded in total absolutes, it might be best to let folks speculate and you wait and see how the RMA process pans out. Nothing anyone says on this thread matters anyway. So defending your RMA here with vehement rebuttals is pointless. In fact, it smacks of over defensiveness...especially when you tend to refute possible explanations AFTER the idea is presented rather than originally posting up all the relevant facts to begin with. Again, just saying.

If I were you I'd let everyone post as they please on here and let the RMA process unfold. I do hope you get it covered.
    Exactly. He was loading up at 4.8+ previously, one would have thought the fault would have manifest at a higher load rather than a lower one. Just sayin, too...
    Does the set of all those sets that do not contain themselves contain itself?

Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoX View Post
    Exactly. He was loading up at 4.8+ previously, one would have thought the fault would have manifest at a higher load rather than a lower one. Just sayin, too...
    You are right. I to would have though some thing like this would only happen at load but in reality it happened at post.

Now can we move past the damage and move on to how customer service dropped the ball?
    This is going to be one of my last post here. I was miss informed. I should have been at the real asus forum where the tech people have a clue what they are talking about and can actually do some thing.

The key in this is the word "improper" on line b. (I the end user did nothing improper.)

Click on the pictures if you cant read them.

No where do I see any thing about fire not caused by user error voiding the warranty.
    I do see where they say this tho.

Quote Originally Posted by http://service.asus.com

Leading Performance meets Leading Support

For the customer and system builder seeking peace of mind with their motherboard investment, ASUS provides the ASUS Premium Service (APS) program for enthusiast-class motherboards. If you encounter a problem with their motherboard, this program entitles you to receive an advance replacement of your motherboard, ensuring faster service and minimal downtime.
    Service Terms

APS is limited to customers within the United States and Canada only.
    To apply for APS, contact ASUS product support
    Your motherboard's APS status will be verified and an RMA number will be granted upon verification
    Before ASUS ships out a replacement, you must fill out and fax/email back a credit card authorization form to permit a hold on your credit card of an amount based on an MSRP of your motherboard.
    Once you receive your advance replacement you are expected to return your defective motherboard to ASUS within 14 days of receiving your RMA number.
    Last edited by mcj66106; 03-04-2012 at 05:22 PM.

ACHOS
    i7 3930K|Asus RIVE|Dominator GT 2133 x 16GB|GTX580 AC block|Corsair X128|Titanium Fatal1ty|AX1200 and HX1000|CaseLabs M8|HK 3.0 chrome|Win 7

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by mcj66106 View Post
    Attachment 6408

Do you think that looks like a bad or loose connection? Are you blind? You can see it is fully seated in the connector even tho it is burned off the board. Stop trying to blame every thing but the board. All Items sold today must be 'fit for purpose' ,if they sell with the intention of overclocking then those features must work as intended.
    Bad/loose connections have a higher resistance. When you pull current through resistor it dissipates heat. When you heat up a bad/resistive connection, it tends to become more resistive, and therefore generates more heat when you pull current through it. The end result is that it continues to dissipate more and more power. Images like the ones you posted are often the result.
    Motherboard: RIVE (3602 bios)
    CPU: Intel 3930K @4646MHz
    OS Drive: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO (Raid 0)
    Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD
    Memory: 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 @795MHz - 1536MB GDDR5
    PSU: OCZ ZX1250
    Cooling: Phantek PH-TC14PE

Yes that is true, but the point I am making is that the bad connection was not in the psu cable or the connection between the pins of the psu cable to the pins of the 8 pin connector. We can agree that it was a bad connection, but the bad connection was obviously below the connector where the heat was obviously generated. You can see this by the burn pattern. The only thing I am debating is where the bad connection is and who is at fault for the bad connection. It is obvious that I had nothing to do with a bad solder connection on the board. I can also see why only one of you is willing to say that the problem was not in the 8 pin connector of the psu. "Take it Upstairs" obviously doesn't have the post count or a spot on the rog team to protect and also seems to have a better grasp of how electronics work. He however isn't correct on all counts because the 4 pin was connected. But he did hit on the true cause of the problem. I see you do not want to give any of the credit to asus for the bad solder joint but who other than asus is responsible for such a thing. I certainly did not make that solder joint. There for it must be a defect in workmanship on the part of asus or in the manufacturing proses. You can go on saying it may not be user error but its not covered by the warranty all day long but the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection as well as the Better Business Bureau have some thing different to say about that.

ACHOS

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Hyper's Avatar

This advanced RMA system is a good idea apart from ..............................

ASUS putting a hold on your credit card for the full cost of a replacement Mobo.

I am betting you get a standard response , the damage was caused by you ( even if it wasn't ) you end up paying another $400 for the replacement board.

I just bought a new Audi A6 ( £33,000 ) , if it decides to let go on the motoway and burst into flames, I don't expect Audi to say "give me your cedit card details "

Let's bear in mind, we are buying top end products here, not bargain basement components. When I spend top $ for top end products, I expect top end customer service if they develop a fault. Unfortunately for us, ASUS provide bargain basement customer service and if you think it's bad in the US you want to try contacting ASUS in the UK

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array mdzcpa PC Specs
    mdzcpa PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero XI
    Processor9900k @ 5.1Ghz All Core 1.315v AVX -2
    Memory (part number)Gskill GTZ 4133 C17 32GB (4x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 2080 TI OC
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512GB for OS & APPS
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Pro M.2 1TB for GAMES
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 1000W Titanium
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur VOID Pro
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300 Wide Desk Mat
    OS WIN 10 Pro
    Network RouterLinksys VELOP
    Accessory #1 ROG 751JY Laptop for Moobile Gaming
    Accessory #2 Koolance EXC-800 Chiller
    Accessory #3 25+ years of overclocking

If the board wasn't design and assembled adequately for it's intended purpose, 8 pin connectors would be bursting into flames all over the place. And that's not happening. One or two reported cases on web forums that tend to collect mostly negative reports is not good support to the "intended purposes" argument. It might be wise for the OP to reformulate his argument. At best what you *might" have here is a particular instance of defective assembly or construction...that would fall under warranty of workmanship or free from material defect, not fit for intended purpose. I've logged more than a few hours in product litigation over the years.

The OP is meeting resistance to the notion the it's "the boards fault" because by and large we aren't seeing many complaints of this nature. That means, for the most part, the board DOES appear to well designed and assembled for intended purpose. Many here, including myself, also have seen melted ATX connectors over the years from various reasons and causes...some being the board, other's being user error, and some being faulty supporting hardware.

At the end of the day, there is no possible way to determine the fault one way or the other on an internet forum. Not one chance. It requires the reader of the thread to either beleive the claims of the OP at face value or not, and then take a look at a few pics. But no matter what is discussed here it all comes down to whether Asus' standard policy affords the user a replacement under the circumstances. It's more likely a business decision than an engineering analysis at this point. I just found it interesting that consumer protection organizations are being name dropped in what appear to be threats of some kind. Legally speaking, this thread is worthless. Fascinating in some ways, but otherwise worthless to the OP from an RMA standpoint.

I will now step away from the thread as hard as it is not to stare at a train wreck. Carry on.

This is where I stand at this point. Asus has the remainder of the stated 48 hours to do the stock check. If they tell me they are out of stock I will continue by starting the rma prosses with newegg. If newegg is unwilling to resolve this situation I will proceed with a paypal dispute. If that fails I will persue other leagal action. Simple as that. I also understand that this forum is not directly connected to asus and nothing I do or say here is going to make a difference in the rma processes. I was and am still here simply to find out the real cause of the problem. As was said before this will not be decided here and as well it is obvious some of the members here are more knowledgeable than others and I thank you for your help.

I would like to add that the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection as well as the Better Business Bureau being contacted are not meant to be threats to any one. They where simply named to point out that tho asus does infarct have a warranty listed, that warranty is not the final say in the matter.
    I would also like to add that the main reason for doing this is to point out that we the consumers do have rights. Also a simple warranty is not the final word. So if you have been turned down for an rma you can and should look in to further action rather than just eating the cost of the hardware.
    Last edited by mcj66106; 03-04-2012 at 10:58 PM.

ACHOS

Banned Array

Quote Originally Posted by mcj66106 View Post
    I will proceed with a paypal dispute.
    Unless you had Paypal draw the funds from your banking account to pay Newegg, Paypal will never rule in your favor.
    Going legal wont work either. Dirt for dirt allways wins.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

You could have copied and pasted the wikipedia link, no need to fill the thread with posts most won't read anyway.
    MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
    CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
    RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
    TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
    Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast