cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme burned 8 pin off the board.

mcj66106
Level 7
Ok here is what happened. Computer was running fine and I was about to do a reboot and go in to bios. I enter the bios and set load line on the cpu to high and set every thing for 4.8GHz. 1.4v for the cpu and every thing other than that at auto. Hit save and rebooted. Next thing I know i hear a pop and smell smoke then I see fire. I shut it down and pulled the power. the 8 pin was burned right off the board. The power cable for that 8 pin seems to be fine other than a little distortion and the remains of the 8 pin stuck to it.
Now I know that 1.4v with high load line should in no way be enough to burn that off the board. Also there should be no way I can set a voltage high enough to do that. And the guy I talked to from asus said that because I had it over clocked it may not be covered because the overclock could have caused the problem. What the heck is that all about. Isn't this suppose to be the worlds best overclocking board. And can some one show me where it said if I over clock the worlds best overclocking motherboard that I void my warranty. I just cant see how using the advertised features of the board can possibly void it's warranty. Overclocking on a rampage 4 extreme is normal usage.

I will be posting pictures later tonight of the damage.

ACHOS
i7 3930K|Asus RIVE|Dominator GT 2133 x 16GB|GTX580 AC block|Corsair X128|Titanium Fatal1ty|AX1200 and HX1000|CaseLabs M8|HK 3.0 chrome|Win 7
99 REPLIES 99

Necrosan
Level 12
Curious to see the photos!
Can't wait, and that sucks man.
I bet they'll take care of you though as it sounds like you haven't done anything to void the warranty.
(It would suck if they denied you on the basis of overclocking, but the folks I've dealt with at ASUS seem to be a pretty good bunch, so I doubt that would happen.)

Good luck!
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

HiVizMan
Level 40
Heck of thing to happen, just as well you were there to pick it up. Heaven forbid that had happened while your PC was unattended.

Subscribed I want to see the images too.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

mcj66106
Level 7
Ok here are the pix of the board and the power connector. From looking at the power connector you can see that it can not be the fault of the psu. (the psu is working 100% perfect right now) If the psu where pushing that much voltage or amps it would have burned the cables first and not the connector. This leads me to think that the fault is with the soldering connection on the board or possibly with the load line calibration. Both of witch are not user caused damage.

ACHOS
i7 3930K|Asus RIVE|Dominator GT 2133 x 16GB|GTX580 AC block|Corsair X128|Titanium Fatal1ty|AX1200 and HX1000|CaseLabs M8|HK 3.0 chrome|Win 7

8_Pack
Level 12
High LLC does put alot of current through that area as does the especially at 1.4v Vcore if the PC is heavily loaded. Was you actively cooling the VRM's as it says in the overclocking guide when using these settings.

Gr3chie
Level 7
wow man that sucks, are you going to get this covered under warranty?

mcj66106
Level 7
8 Pack wrote:
High LLC does put alot of current through that area as does the especially at 1.4v Vcore if the PC is heavily loaded. Was you actively cooling the VRM's as it says in the overclocking guide when using these settings.

Yes I was cooling the VRM but it was not the VRM that burned. The only thing that burned was the plug in area. Also it was not under heavy load. I had just left the bios and it never had a chance to even begin to post.

Gr3chie wrote:
wow man that sucks, are you going to get this covered under warranty?

I cant say for sure at this point. But I can say that i will never buy another asus product if they do not honer the rma.

Also i am not the only one with this problem. This is a link a thread on this forum where Tifone
is having the very same problem with the exact same board. Link

ACHOS

mcj66106
Level 7
Is there any thing I could have possibly done in the bios that would make the mother board 8 pin connector burst in to flames?

ACHOS

Shamino
its more than 50% likely bad contact of psu connector with MB pins.
loose connection, rust on the connectors, you have bad contact, you have smaller surface area to transfer high amount of current. resistance and heat becomes a vicious cycle, hotter , higher resistance = hotter = higher resistance, finally that.

Shamino wrote:
its more than 50% likely bad contact of psu connector with MB pins.
loose connection, rust on the connectors, you have bad contact, you have smaller surface area to transfer high amount of current. resistance and heat becomes a vicious cycle, hotter , higher resistance = hotter = higher resistance, finally that.

That was my first thought. The fact that it happened at the connector is a dead give away.
Motherboard: RIVE (3602 bios)
CPU: Intel 3930K @4646MHz
OS Drive: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO (Raid 0)
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD
Memory: 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 @795MHz - 1536MB GDDR5
PSU: OCZ ZX1250
Cooling: Phantek PH-TC14PE