cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you install an NVMe M.2 on the GL752VW?

CarlosB
Level 7
Hi everyone. A couple of years ago I successfully cloned my original OEM SSD onto a larger (250GB) 860 Evo SATA M.2. That's now nearly full so I thought I'd upgrade to a 500GB /512GB. ASUS support told me my laptop supports NVME devices and recommended an OEM version rather than the retail EVO series. So I bought a PM981 https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=samsung+pm981&ref=nb_sb_noss_2 which was recognised in the new SSD enclosure I bought (my laptop only has one PCIe slot so I need the enclosure to clone the existing C drive.

Cloning was successful but when I went to update the BIOS settings, the new SSD wasn't recognised. So I sent it back and thought I'd try my luck with the Samsung V-NAND 970 PRO NVMe M.2. The problem with this little beauty is that it doesn't work in external enclosures (I found that out yesterday when I called Samsung support). So I decided to do a new windows install instead of cloning, and downloaded the installation media onto a usb stick.

This hasn't worked either because the Windows install prompts me for a drive to install to and doesn't recognise the new SSD. It asks for the drivers, but doesn't recognise the separate USB that I've downloaded the 970 Pro drivers to. Classic chicken and egg. The SSD isn't recognised without the drivers but you can't install the drivers without a recognised SSD.

Arrrggghhh!!! Can anyone help? I guess I've got to compromise and install a 500GB SATA instead - which will be recognised but which won't be as fast 😞
1 REPLY 1

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
CarlosB wrote:
Hi everyone. A couple of years ago I successfully cloned my original OEM SSD onto a larger (250GB) 860 Evo SATA M.2. That's now nearly full so I thought I'd upgrade to a 500GB /512GB. ASUS support told me my laptop supports NVME devices and recommended an OEM version rather than the retail EVO series. So I bought a PM981 https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=samsung+pm981&ref=nb_sb_noss_2 which was recognised in the new SSD enclosure I bought (my laptop only has one PCIe slot so I need the enclosure to clone the existing C drive.

Cloning was successful but when I went to update the BIOS settings, the new SSD wasn't recognised. So I sent it back and thought I'd try my luck with the Samsung V-NAND 970 PRO NVMe M.2. The problem with this little beauty is that it doesn't work in external enclosures (I found that out yesterday when I called Samsung support). So I decided to do a new windows install instead of cloning, and downloaded the installation media onto a usb stick.

This hasn't worked either because the Windows install prompts me for a drive to install to and doesn't recognise the new SSD. It asks for the drivers, but doesn't recognise the separate USB that I've downloaded the 970 Pro drivers to. Classic chicken and egg. The SSD isn't recognised without the drivers but you can't install the drivers without a recognised SSD.

Arrrggghhh!!! Can anyone help? I guess I've got to compromise and install a 500GB SATA instead - which will be recognised but which won't be as fast 😞

Welcome to the forums!

Check post #12 at the thread below if you are interested, but the GL752VW will actually use a different version of the GL752VW motherboard to support NVME M.2 SSDs, so if your GL752VW motherboard supports SATA3 M.2 SSDs, it will not support NVME M.2 SSDs as you have found. May not be worth the trouble, but wondering if you want to talk to ASUS support to look into it more and confirm this although you already know the answer now.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?83944-GL752VW-adding-an-SSD-drive/page2

Depends what you are doing, but in my opinion don't expect you would see that much difference between the two types of SSDs most of the time. Haven't carefully compared them myself though, so hopefully others can let me know if I'm wrong about this.