cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502 battery

ZoleeG
Level 7
Hi all,

I recently noticed that the chassis of my GL502vs has deformed on the bottom of the laptop and on the sides of the touch pad. As it's still under warranty, I sent it to the service, now they claim state that the battery is indeed deformed, bubbled up on both sides and needs to be replaced. BUT! the warranty on the battery is only 1 year instead of the full 2 years, and if I want it to be replaced - as this deformity can cause other issues inside the laptop(!), I will be charged around a 100EUR for the battery and labor.
I find it totally unfair that once you pay 1500 EUR for a laptop, the battery is not covered by the warranty. This is outrageous! If it was an entry level laptop, I'd say OK. But we're taking about the absolute premium category!!! ROG! What the hell ASUS??? :mad::mad::mad:

Anyone else experienced this?
9 REPLIES 9

xeromist
I'd check if you got warranty information in the box with the machine. That way you can verify if what they're saying is true. It wouldn't surprise me though. Heavily used batteries don't last as long as the rest of the hardware so I could see a manufacturer only covering them for a year.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
The battery is covered by the warranty, for 1 year. Fair enough, since the battery can die prematurely depending on how it's used.
You can find one on amazon or ebay for around $45. Replace it yourself, it's not rocket science and it can be done in less than 5 minutes.

link626
Level 7
i had bulging battery on my GL502vm too.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?103360-GL502VM-owners-OPEN-YOUR-LAPTOP-Bulging-battery&p=7...

All that heat in this stupid laptop causes the battery to blow up.

If you bought your laptop with a credit card, your credit card company will pay for an extra year of warranty.

My credit card company paid me $250 for battery repair, and I just cashed the check and bought a spare battery from ebay for much cheaper.

link626 wrote:
i had bulging battery on my GL502vm too.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?103360-GL502VM-owners-OPEN-YOUR-LAPTOP-Bulging-battery&p=7...

All that heat in this stupid laptop causes the battery to blow up.

If you bought your laptop with a credit card, your credit card company will pay for an extra year of warranty.

My credit card company paid me $250 for battery repair, and I just cashed the check and bought a spare battery from ebay for much cheaper.

Show me a gaming laptop that runs cool.
Also, that's not caused by the heat. Heat can slowly kill batteries, but it will not make them bulge... Well, unless you throw them in the fire.
That's usually caused by frequent over discharge. Old batteries also tend to bulge.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Show me a gaming laptop that runs cool.
Also, that's not caused by the heat. Heat can slowly kill batteries, but it will not make them bulge... Well, unless you throw them in the fire.
That's usually caused by frequent over discharge. Old batteries also tend to bulge.

Nope. google it. Heat causes outgassing and battery swelling.

dell xps users also had battery swelling, with their thin chassis and poor ventilation.

My room temp was always around 80-85F, and with gaming, the laptop chassis would get hot inside. Ventilation is poor on the GL502.

I hardly ever discharged my battery.

In fact, my charge cycle count is only 3, and 2/4 battery cells are dead. All 4 cells are bulging.
Using it 100% as a desktop replacement, never discharged except during rare power outages.

link626 wrote:
Nope. google it. Heat causes outgassing and battery swelling.

dell xps users also had battery swelling, with their thin chassis and poor ventilation.

My room temp was always around 80-85F, and with gaming, the laptop chassis would get hot inside. Ventilation is poor on the GL502.

I hardly ever discharged my battery.

In fact, my charge cycle count is only 3, and 2/4 battery cells are dead. All 4 cells are bulging.
Using it 100% as a desktop replacement, never discharged except during rare power outages.

If heat alone killed batteries, mine should be dead long ago. I game every single day and they're good just like when they were new, two years ago. I cycle them at least once a week.

"Using it 100% as a desktop replacement, never discharged except during rare power outages."
That's exactly why they're bulging. Case closed.
Keeping the batteries constantly at a full charge or completely flat will kill them very quickly. If you don't plan on using the laptop on battery power too often, you should keep the charge between 20 and 60%. Or at least cycle them once in a while.

Replace the batteries and install Asus Battery Health Charging. That will keep your batteries in good shape for some time.

xeromist
It's possible the battery had a flaw unrelated to usage. Short of a forensic investigation nobody will be able to confirm cause of death.

Fact is, regardless of the cause if you are past the warranty then you are responsible for any repair costs, so it doesn't matter. Unfortunately that's just how warranties work.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Frosti7
Level 7
Does anyone know if GL502VS Laptop can run witouht battery?
run on AC with battery unplugged ?

Trying to troubleshoot why my Laptop has a red blinking light & will crash after 2 minute of use
also, it won't power on withoht the battery attached.

Blake1
Level 10
Hello Frosti7,
It is possible to do so, but we wouldn't recommend to.
Please kindly send the device to service center.
Thank you.