cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z390-A Suddenly STOPPED

Basspig
Level 7
No other way to describe it.
I was doing a system image backup in Windows 10 Pro. I had WinAMP playing music. Noticed it was gapping or pausing every few seconds, which this system never did before. Playing audio was never a problem.
Then while I was out of the room, the music stopped entirely. I came back to a blank monitor that was asleep.
Tried to wake the PC, but nothing. Totally dead. No raster, no sign of life other than fans and LEDs lit.
Forced shutdown by holding power button 4 seconds.
Regards,
Mark
"If it doesn't cause an earthquake, you need a bigger subwoofer."
11 REPLIES 11

Basspig
Level 7
Powered back up and everything seems normal at the moment.
In the past month, I've had two unexplained BSODs, both while the system was idle and I saw it happen while I was on the phone talking to a customer, not even touching the PC.
The first few months, the PC was 100% reliable. But since August, I've had these three incidents happen.
Having the system just STOP without an error message is really disconcerting. I thought the motherboard had died or the CPU failed.
Luckily, it restarted after power cycling, but now I no longer trust the system. I don't know when it will crap out next.
My previous systems were all Gigabyte boards and all went obsolete but were still working fine after 12 years of heavy use and overclocking and high case temps due to 6 7200RPM drives and poor ventilation.
I'm running the Asus Z390-A at stock speeds and at 22°C case temps due to SSDs drives and good airflow and already I'm having problems. I hate that I'll be having to consider building another system before this one is even a year old.
Regards,
Mark

edrickjk
Level 7
DId you update your bios during that time period?

xeromist
Just for good measure you may want to run HCI Memtest or Memtest86+. After I built my system I thought it was stable but I had occasional issues. Running memtest showed some errors. After some tuning things were much better.

Unfortunately I still get occasional random lockups but no memory errors and nothing in the Windows event log so I've no clue what's up.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Carlyle2020
Level 10
IF it gets a little worse day by day, it could be the PSU is on its way out.

...Maybe i assume this because it happened to me a month ago.

So keep your assesment fluid please.

Rgds
Carlyle

Basspig
Level 7
This system was built in January of this year.
I did a BIOS update in August, after adding more RAM.
I did run Memtest86+ for several hours and there were zero errors.
I am running at stock speeds. This machine is primarily used for office tasks and some light video editing work.
The two BSODs were peculiar. They were pointing to ohci1394.sys. The system was idle at both times. If it had happened while scanning a slide, I could see a correlation, but the scanner was idle.
But yesterday's gapping audio playback, followed by the machine just halting like that and black screen was disturbing.
I wish there was some exhaustive diagnostic that tested every component of the motherboard.
Regards,
Mark

edrickjk
Level 7
Look couple post down about bios issue,most likely you have the same issue we all have with the newer bios version .

Basspig
Level 7
I'm running BIOS version 1105, which I downloaded 7/1/2019. Any issues reported with that BIOS?
Regards,
Mark

edrickjk
Level 7
Thats when they changed to me version 12.039, so its highly possible its related yes. Before reverting bios on this board i would ask around here and on reddit since it seems you don't have bios flashback on this model and im not sure it would revert your me version.

Basspig
Level 7
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the ME version?
Regards,
Mark