cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2080ti Power Throttling at 60C (at 40-50% TDP)

Abyss1337
Level 7
I have a water cooled x299 build with a 7940x on a Rampage VI Apex. Less than 2 months ago I added an Asus Dual 2080ti OC card and it has been running fine until last weekend (have not even got around to overclocking it yet).

I first noticed low performance in games. Inspecting the FPS, it looks to have been halved in some situations - running benchmarks like 3dmark gives me 8000-9000 graphics score on TimeSpy when before it would be 15000-16000. CPU score and CPU benchmarks are unchanged.

Looking at the GPU sensors, temp seems fine (sitting at low 60C), usage is fine, what is not fine is Power % - the card starts off with my set power target (110%) but within a few seconds it falls down to 50% TDP where it stays. Performance is normal for those first few seconds (high FPS) but falls off with the TDP. PerfCap from GPUz in the below screenshot shows how this is happening (Pwr reason).

Have tried changing drivers, even under-clocking the card. I have tried testing from a completely cold card (left computer off overnight, turned on and went straight into 3dmark) and exactly the same behavior happen - the common trigger seems to be when the GPU temp gets to 60C, the PerfCap: Pwr kicks in.

Help please!
13 REPLIES 13

Khean
Level 10
I did have same problem with this issue with my asus rtx 2080ti. What i did is update to recent nvidia drivers and go to nvidia control panel and change the power management to = adaptive/performance and i got my score back.

Abyss1337
Level 7
Thanks for the reply - I have tried changing it to both adaptive and maximum performance (and restarting between each test just for a good measure) but there is no difference. Power consumption spikes to 100% at the start, then drops to <50% within seconds with PerfCap throttling it.

BigJohnny
Level 13
is it on air? They start throttling around 45C

Abyss1337
Level 7
It's on water - any modern game is basically unplayable due to the throttling.

edrickjk
Level 7
Are you using a riser card by any chance ?

Abyss1337
Level 7
Yes I am

Abyss1337 wrote:
Yes I am

Try without it, when i bought my 2080ti i had strange issue like this using the cooler master riser, switched to the lian li i had with my case,same issue. Cable mods was the only one working in my case.

Abyss1337
Level 7
Thanks - I'll give it a try (anything to avoid draining the loop AGAIN).

What is strange is that it worked fine with the riser for almost 2 months before this problem occurred - will let you know how it goes.

Undertoker
Level 9
I use the cable mod vertical gpu riser
I have no issues and cannot praise it highly enough*
I9 14900K >ASUS ROG Strix RTX 4090 OC Edition
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME EATX Motherboard
ASUS ROG PG35VQ @ 200mhz in 3440x1440
Trident Z RGB 64GB DDR5 @ 6400mhz
Samsung 980 EVO Pro M.2 x 5 off
NZXT Z63 Kraken AIO CPU Cooler
NZXT H700i + Hue 2 (Pubg Edition) - Heavily modified
ASUS ROG THOR 1200w PSU