cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair Hero 7 (VII) x470 3600mhz RAM for Ryzen 3700x?

pete_agreatguy
Level 8
Hi all,

I'm in the process of planning a serious upgrade from my current setup (a x58, Sintel i7 975 build).

I have decided to buy AMD this time around based upon reviews of their excellent Ryzen 3000 series, specifically the 3700X.

However, I am struggling to decide upon RAM.

The board I am wanting to get is the Crosshair Hero 7 (VII) with a 16GB 3600mhz RAM kit (prefer 2x8GB).

However, currently the QVL is not out for this board - I've messaged Asus support already. They suggested 3600MHz is supported but they cannot recommend a specific kit that would be supported (i.e. plug and play). 3400MHz or 3200MHz is an option (probably G Skill's F4-3200C14D-16GFX).

I have produced the following Google Sheet (link) for my options but am a little unsure on what to do and if the 400MHz in RAM speed will be noticable for my usage? I mainly game, do mods for games (compression, skinning - Photoshop and coding). I also rip blu rays and convert using handbrake occasionally.

Q) Does anyone on this forum have this board and is running a ram set at 3600MHz with a Ryzen 3000 series CPU?

PS: I will be sticking with X470 as prefer to be eco friendly and I am aware from my research that the X570 boards use more power due to the PCIe 4.0 - something I do not require.

Thank you in advance for any advice or feedback 🙂
8 REPLIES 8

RedSector73
Level 12
Anything Samsung b-die has the best results overclocking results.

Use this link in advaned to compare specific kits if you after Samsung b-die
https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/ against your list

However g.skill trident & trident neo (all work) meeting your plug n play desire but only low latency stuff is Samsung b-die.

There are several kits that will work only one ever had issue with was corsair vengeance lpx (hynix) on a 1800x till the memory was included in the microcode's and that was ages ago. Rest of reports in my mind my have helpful Intel fanboys or people to inept to understand you can get faulty ram like anything or damage it themselves installing and won't admit fault. Mind you, I moved onto Samsung b-die regardless of brand and never have looked back. I own 1800x, 2700x & 3900x (specs of the 3900x are listed in my profile)

Hope this is of help.

pete_agreatguy
Level 8
To clarify RedScetor, I would be alright getting 3600MHz with a CL of 16?

Thank you 🙂

PS: That link is great, I used it during my initial research 🙂

pete_agreatguy wrote:
To clarify RedScetor, I would be alright getting 3600MHz with a CL of 16?

Cant see any issue with doing that. CL14 is the lowest but it hyper expensive and CL16 is good price point/performance.

pete_agreatguy
Level 8
Yeah, they are hard to come by. Especially the non rgb kits which is what I am really after.

Given the steep price point, I'm contemplating just getting the G Skill FlareX 3200 MHz CL14 kit instead.

RedSector73
Level 12
Flare X is good choice they run 3600 from forums here in Australia with similar timings , you could also maybe grab higher clock ddr 3800 or higher if cheaper and downclock with the ryzen dram tool at extremely fast timings. https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/

pete_agreatguy
Level 8
What the devil is that Ryzen DRAM calculator? 😕

I went for this kit: https://www.gskill.com/product/165/168/1536203076/F4-3600C16D-16GTZTrident-ZDDR4-3600MHz-CL16-16-16-...

RedSector73
Level 12
It helps gets best ram timings.... better than DOCP. Give it whirl once you have your system up and stable.

pete_agreatguy
Level 8
Thank you for that! I certainly give the "safe" settings a go 🙂

UPDATE 3rd Nov:

Did a basic bench test today and the DOCP profile with the timings and voltage set as on the sticker on the RAM, boots into BIOS. Need to clarify when Windows is installed but looks good so far 🙂