cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan Extension Card melts cable

BjFaeTorphins
Level 7
I have a Prime x299-delux motherboard which came with a Fan Extension Card which I've tried connecting up.

Plugged it all in a per the instructions and switched it on.

The 5 pin cable that plugs into the EXT_FAN_IN on the Fan Extension Card and the EXT_FAN connector on the motherboard melted.

Thinking I had done something wrong I ordered another Fan Extension Card connected it up and was getting hot so pulled the plug quickly.

Any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6

RedSector73
Level 12
If the fan was faulty it can draw excessive amount of amps which would melt the cable and put stress on your motherboard..... I would be looking at it, did the fan get hot as well, did it spin up to full / rated speed ?

How many amps does the fan draw.... How long is the extension cable ?

RedSector73 wrote:
If the fan was faulty it can draw excessive amount of amps which would melt the cable and put stress on your motherboard..... I would be looking at it, did the fan get hot as well, did it spin up to full / rated speed ?

How many amps does the fan draw.... How long is the extension cable ?

Thank you for your reply.

The first card, where the cable properly melted, had a Noctua NF-A14 rated at 0.55A connected to the fan extension card by the cable supplied with the fan. So no extension cable.. It did not spin up.

When I tried the 2nd card I did not connect the fan so I think we can eliminate the fan.

It was the EXT_FAN_IN cable that melted. Its the cable that enables the motherboard to control the fan extension card.

BjFaeTorphins wrote:
... Noctua NF-A14 rated at 0.55A connected to the fan extension card by the cable supplied with the fan.

I only ever had one defective Noctua fan in 15 years and it didn't spin what-so-ever from first use and got hot, still amp draw was never enough to melt anything. I can also say I have fans of theirs over 8 years still running 24/7.

I have taken a look at your manual and noticed this is the most likely problem, that the header your using, isn't correct one for fan input. See diagram below I suspect your using the wrong header.

RedSector73 wrote:
I only ever had one defective Noctua fan in 15 years and it didn't spin what-so-ever from first use and got hot, still amp draw was never enough to melt anything. I can also say I have fans of theirs over 8 years still running 24/7.

I have taken a look at your manual and noticed this is the most likely problem, that the header your using, isn't correct one for fan input. See diagram below I suspect your using the wrong header.

I'm not connecting the fan to the EXT_FAN port on the MB. The fan is/will be connected to the Fan Extension Card. The cable that connects the MB to the Fan Extension Card plugs into the EXT_FAN port on the MB and to the EXT_FAN_IN port on the fan extension card. It's this cable that melted.

RedSector73
Level 12
What Fan Extension Card are you using ?

RedSector73 wrote:
What Fan Extension Card are you using ?

The one that came with the Prime x299-delux motherboard. Part No 90MC02V0