cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the GA502DU Laptop Intake vent completely blocked with dust filter?

cherryghost
Level 7
I'm not talking a grill filter, but a solid black piece of paper. This is on my GA502DU laptop I purchased last week. I tested and air cannot pass through this paper at all.

Why is this in place over the laptops intake fans? I've added a picture for clarity.
4 REPLIES 4

BigJohnny
Level 13
The intake is throught the vent holes, across the heatsinks and out the back

BigJohnny wrote:
The intake is throught the vent holes, across the heatsinks and out the back

Actually air is pushed out the side and from the back. There's vents above the keyboard for air intake.

But still doesnt explain why the back of the chassis is blocked where the fans are located. I would assume this vent is also open for the fan to intake air but it's blocked.

cherryghost wrote:
Actually air is pushed out the side and from the back. There's vents above the keyboard for air intake.

But still doesnt explain why the back of the chassis is blocked where the fans are located. I would assume this vent is also open for the fan to intake air but it's blocked.

I found a video where Jarrod calls this out also:
https://youtu.be/rwL6knZ40Ng?t=569

cherryghost
Level 7
Sorry for spam. I removed the panel myself and temps are 10 degress cooler across the board. Laptop is tending to run quieter too. Chatting to someone on another forum, it leads me to believe Asus intentionally hobbled the G series laptop to differentiate from its M series counterpart, that has identical chassis. On that one, the fan vents are removed, and reviews for thermals are better too.

Shameful marketing by Asus tbh.