Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Crosshair V: boot_led & vga_led

CrackBabySPORTS
Level 7
Motherboard: In title
PSU: Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
CPU: AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor
Memory/RAM: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (1.35 Low Voltage DDR3 1600 kit)
HD: Western Digital something
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 2GB (I have two of these with SLI to make a total of 4GB)
My disk drive is Sony something, I believe. Too lazy to check.

[/HR]
I just purchased an upgrade for my computer; made the switch from Intel to AMD processor to match the specifications listed above. The only thing I changed in the process was the Motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Immediately upon receiving the new components, I began to install them and placed the power cords in the spots designated by the labels. My CPU and video cards I'm fairly certain that I connected properly, and for the RAM I placed the two cards into the black slots (I tried them in the red slots as well at first, as the guide states, but had the same result).
When I boot up the computer, the LED warning lights all blink up one-by-one as they test each specification. First, the vga_led comes on almost immediately, then after several moments I will hear one long beep that is soon followed with three short beeps along with the boot_led coming on. The monitor remains in sleep mode the entire time and leaves me with no interface at all so I cannot enter the BIOS or see what processes are active in the system aside from what's indicated by the motherboard LED's. I've also attempted using the 'Jumper' feature that is listed in the guide, and it has no effect on the system at all - I'm wondering if I installed the SATA cables incorrectly, but I don't necessarily see any specific recommendations for where they should be placed and just placed the red with the red, and the two blue with two of the many blue slots.
Any suggestions? I'd really not rather send my $600 worth of upgrades back, nor pay an extra $200 just to have some supposed 'professional' let my computer sit in the back room for a week before calling me up and saying they can't do anything, as I've heard such people envy doing.
15 REPLIES 15

Chris_Manico
Level 10
What bios revision firstly, and then personally i'd try to remove one of the video cards, and start off with just one.
Off the top of my head seems like maybe the the bios you have isnt the one that supports the new FX cpu, but you'd think you'd get a cpu led if that were the case. or the Power Supply isnt enough to push 2 gtx 580's. try one card, in the top red slot.
Corsair Carbide 540 Air ~ AMD FX 8350 ~ Asus Crosshair V Formula Z ~ 1901 BIOS ~ Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400 MHz 2x8 Gb CMD16X3M2A2400C10 ~ EVGA GTX 1080 Ti ~ Corsair AX860i PSU ~ Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb SATA 3 SSD ~ WD 4 TB 7200 RPM 64 MB ( RMA'd ) ~ Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ~ Corsair SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speakers ~ 27 Samsung SA550 HD LED Monitor ~

Chris Manico wrote:
What bios revision firstly, and then personally i'd try to remove one of the video cards, and start off with just one.
Off the top of my head seems like maybe the the bios you have isnt the one that supports the new FX cpu, but you'd think you'd get a cpu led if that were the case. or the Power Supply isnt enough to push 2 gtx 580's. try one card, in the top red slot.

Well I bought both the most recent CPU and Motherboard that I found so I'd assume that they are compatible with each other, and yeah there's no CPU_LED either..but sometimes computers are able to incorrectly tell you what really is wrong with them, as I've learned through the years.
I'd expect that the power supply is enough to run the two GTX 580's since I just had them on my previous computer and it ran flawlessly, but I have already tried running the PC with just one video card placed alone. Only difference was on my previous computer was the motherboard, CPU, and RAM. I've listed the specifications for my previous setup at the bottom of my post.
The shipped BIOS version for this Motherboard is 1102.

[/HR]
(PREVIOUS SETUP)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3 Motherboard - Socket 1366
PSU: Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
CPU: Intel i7 950 3.1GHz
Memory/RAM: Corsair 3 x 2GB (6GB total) 1600MHz
HD: Western Digital something
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 2GB (I have two of these with SLI to make a total of 4GB)
My disk drive is Sony something, I believe. Too lazy to check.

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you look on your motherboard you will see a series of numbers and the last four numbers are the shipped bios version. The FX8150 CPU requires a updated BIOS to work on the motherboard.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

NemesisChild
Level 12
And btw, you don't have a total of 4GB graphic card memory with your 580's.

In SLI, apps & games share the memory, so with your 580's, it's a total of 2GB shared memory.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

HiVizMan wrote:
If you look on your motherboard you will see a series of numbers and the last four numbers are the shipped bios version. The FX8150 CPU requires a updated BIOS to work on the motherboard.

NemesisChild wrote:
And btw, you don't have a total of 4GB graphic card memory with your 580's.

In SLI, apps & games share the memory, so with your 580's, it's a total of 2GB shared memory.

Good to know. First time completely building my own computer aside from changing something small (used to just CPU, video card, or RAM..never Motherboard)

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cheers mate - your board has a FX bios.

Right please do the following.

Visually inspect the board and ensure that each of the power connectors is correctly seated in the correct socket. The user manual is your friend and refer to it just to make 100% sure that things are in the right place.
Check that your keyboard and mouse are connected. Remove any other devices from the in/out panel please.
CPU fan header is populated.
One stick of ram
One graphic card
HDD is optional.

The cable to the monitor is connected and that the monitor is powered on and the correct input selected.

We are no ready to power up.

If you have done all the above your system should boot to BIOS no problem.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Cheers mate - your board has a FX bios.

Right please do the following.

Visually inspect the board and ensure that each of the power connectors is correctly seated in the correct socket. The user manual is your friend and refer to it just to make 100% sure that things are in the right place.
Check that your keyboard and mouse are connected. Remove any other devices from the in/out panel please.
CPU fan header is populated.
One stick of ram
One graphic card
HDD is optional.

The cable to the monitor is connected and that the monitor is powered on and the correct input selected.

We are no ready to power up.

If you have done all the above your system should boot to BIOS no problem.

I've done all that and I still get all the same problems, though I haven't done it without the HDD plugged in
However after I get out of work I will record a short video to show all of you how I have setup my system and allow you to hear the beeps; but it will be done with the camera on my phone so even though its a 1080p camera phone, I lack sufficient lightning in my apartment

NemesisChild
Level 12
I see that you have low voltage Crucial memory, would not be among my choices.
Try booting with one stick of Corsair memory from your previuos build.
Secondly, there is no way that you are going to adequately power two 580's with a CM 850W PSU.
Yes, it's 80+ Bronze certified, but keep in mind that just one 580 requires min. 42 amps on the +12v rail.
You have to consider the PSU output under continuous load, not just it's rated output.
And now you're throwing a 125W CPU into the mix with your PSU, ever think about that?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
I see that you have low voltage Crucial memory, would not be among my choices.
Try booting with one stick of Corsair memory from your previuos build.
Secondly, there is no way that you are going to adequately power two 580's with a CM 850W PSU.
Yes, it's 80+ Bronze certified, but keep in mind that just one 580 requires min. 42 amps on the +12v rail.
You have to consider the PSU output under continuous load, not just it's rated output.
And now you're throwing a 125W CPU into the mix with your PSU, ever think about that?

That shouldnt matter what hes running, an 850w is just fine. Look at my rig, I have no probs.

I would keep switching parts around if u can, if everything is hooked up just right you should have no probs booting. Im wondering if your mobo or cpu might be bad. Where did you get these parts?

AMD FX-8150 CPU
CORSAIR WATER COOLING
ASUS CROSSHAIR V FORMULA
2 x 120GB OCZ AGILITY SSD RAID-0
8GB CORSAIR 1866
2 x GTX550Ti SLI
850 CORSAIR POWER SUPPLY
WINDOWS 7 PRO x64
3 x DELL MONITORS