cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

b450 f advice

spitfireuk
Level 7
hey all

im after some advice, recently upgraded my PC spent years just patching a pc together so i can game.

put some money together and got myself

ASUS ROG STRIX B450 F
AMD RADEON RX 580 RED DEVIL GOLDEN SAMPLE 8GB GDDR5 GRAPHICS CARD
G.SKILL RIPJAW V 8GB 3200MHZ X4
AMD RYZEN 5 2600X
KINGSTON SA400S37480G SSD
Seagate ST1000LX015 FireCuda 1 TB 5400 RPM 2.5 inch SATA Internal SSHD

With the motherboard in the bios under the tweaker section all the settings are at auto, does this mean that when i demand a bit more when im gaming the board will auto up to the peak performance for the CPU GPU and ram, or do i need to set it all manually? i dont want it running high all the time just when i game

ive never pushed a pc, other than out a window when it finally fails!, ive had a look into overclocking, seems a little easier these days than it use to be, alot more programs around that seem to do it for you, ive razor cortex installed which pushes the ram everytime i log in to my games, but im unsure if the cpu and gpu are being upped, though saying that the heat coming of the GF suggests it is.

any advice greatly welcomed

🙂
1 REPLY 1

RedSector73
Level 12
For a daily driver and not breaking some silly benchmark. Then Auto is going to serve you best for overclocking the CPU automatically where needed. On my older x370 there is function that gives level 1 2 3 4 on overclock however [3] was default on auto anyway and its good enough.

The best gain can often be had via a Memory O/C:-

Get Thaiphoon Burner http://softnology.biz/files.html and identify your ram manufacturer (ie samsung, hynix, micron)

Then get this tool
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/
Make sure you pick b450 and 4 sticks of ram (default assumes 2)

Your going to have very good idea of safe o/c to extreme o/c of your memory. Which ~imo is more useful than say an all core o/c of your cpu.

Here is video about use of both programs.

Hope you find this of help 😉

PS. Take you time entering the data for ram config from the calculator (print it out/send screenshot to your phone) into the asus bios, as the calculator/bios don't line by line match, you get used to it once you have found the lines.