cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help ! Best mainboard for 9900K at 5.0 GHz

Alexauwa
Level 7
Hey guys,

I've been looking into various mainboards for a stable 5.0 GHz i9900K. I've found the following:

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA
Asus ROG Strix Z390-E
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero
MSI MEG Z390

In a couple of reviews the Maximus has been the hottest one. The VRM values load up quite a lot causing the mainboard run hot, specially in OC.
My lastest board was the Asus X99-A II which seemed fine.

I think I wont need an extreme highend mainboard though. But I need maximum performance for my 9900K which is for 4K/6K video editing and an stable 5.0 GHz.
I also need to get most performance out of my Samsung 970 Evo Plus M2s. Will be using two there and dont want any PCI Lane bottleneck. My GPU might still be my old GTX 1060. Maybe a RTX 2070 later on.

So to sum up I need two full speed M2 and a good stable 5.0 Ghz OC with that board. What you think?

Thanks,
Alex :cool:
2 REPLIES 2

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
Alexauwa wrote:
Hey guys,

I've been looking into various mainboards for a stable 5.0 GHz i9900K. I've found the following:

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA
Asus ROG Strix Z390-E
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero
MSI MEG Z390

In a couple of reviews the Maximus has been the hottest one. The VRM values load up quite a lot causing the mainboard run hot, specially in OC.
My lastest board was the Asus X99-A II which seemed fine.

I think I wont need an extreme highend mainboard though. But I need maximum performance for my 9900K which is for 4K/6K video editing and an stable 5.0 GHz.
I also need to get most performance out of my Samsung 970 Evo Plus M2s. Will be using two there and dont want any PCI Lane bottleneck. My GPU might still be my old GTX 1060. Maybe a RTX 2070 later on.

So to sum up I need two full speed M2 and a good stable 5.0 Ghz OC with that board. What you think?

Thanks,
Alex :cool:

I have test all those. and all those gets the 5.0 mark easy. The M2 has nothing to do with the 5.0 oc. so take that out. HeroXi, MegZ390 and the ultra are very good oc board. My test has shown that VRM temps are good. on all those board, event that professional has good review on all. I have not see my codexi or heroxi have issues with vrm temps. The stable 5.0 will depend on the quality of the 9900k. Mine is stable at 5.0 1.28volts (i try to get 1.26volts but on some apps crash) 24/7 using a aio max temp 68c on a 32 ambient. other need more volts. VRM has never see more than 50C (take notes on my ambien) and I am using the dual pin eps and cpu takes 200wplus from the PSU.

You can choose all minus the z390-e since is a entry model but ok. so is about price and brand. Me I use all those, but is more about ecosystem. same brand for all component to reduce issues on the long run. aside that .... that is it
Learn, Play Enjoy!

MrAgapiGC wrote:
I have test all those. and all those gets the 5.0 mark easy. The M2 has nothing to do with the 5.0 oc. so take that out. HeroXi, MegZ390 and the ultra are very good oc board. My test has shown that VRM temps are good. on all those board, event that professional has good review on all. I have not see my codexi or heroxi have issues with vrm temps. The stable 5.0 will depend on the quality of the 9900k. Mine is stable at 5.0 1.28volts (i try to get 1.26volts but on some apps crash) 24/7 using a aio max temp 68c on a 32 ambient. other need more volts. VRM has never see more than 50C (take notes on my ambien) and I am using the dual pin eps and cpu takes 200wplus from the PSU.

You can choose all minus the z390-e since is a entry model but ok. so is about price and brand. Me I use all those, but is more about ecosystem. same brand for all component to reduce issues on the long run. aside that .... that is it

Thanks mate! That helps. I also found the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WIFI to be a good priced mainboard giving the same quality like the Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA but with less options that I might not need anyway. You think so too?

Also I am interested in your AIO cooler. Which are you using? I planed to go Noctura with air which I really like. But generally I've read that the 9900k gets a bit hotter.

Thank you,
Alex