cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Asus G752VY] Laptop stuck at Asus logo with M.2 NVMe mounted

WildCreature
Level 7
Hi,

I'm using Asus G752VY for 3 years now, never had any issues until last week. It came with pre-installed Windows 10 on Samsung SM951 M.2 NVMe 256GB.
Last week when I turn it on it took around 30 minutes to fully boot into Windows, it stuck at black screen with Asus logo and this little dot-circle spinning underneath. That never happend to me before but I proceed to use laptop as normal. After 15 minutes everything froze and I had to force shut it down.
That's when all my problems started.

After restart I was unable to start Windows again, it just stuck at Asus logo screen (without spinning circle). Tried few more times without luck.
I created bootable usb stick with Windows 10 but the installation process could not start, everything stuck at Asus logo.
I get into BIOS and NVMe drive was listed there also as a bootable device.
At this point I started doing some research and followed few guides. Turned safe boot on/off, fast boot on/off, CSM on/off, restared BIOS to default settings, mounted memory in other slot, upgraded BIOS to latest version etc. zero changes.
I removed NVMe memory from the laptop and left only SATA storage drive with usb pluged in and after restart Windows installation started straight away. Replaced storage drive with other sata hdd and installed Windows on it.
Changed in BIOS to boot from SATA and inserted NVMe back in. After restart - stuck at Asus logo. Removed NVMe - Windows loaded.
I was sure that memory just died so I purchased Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB M.2 NVMe as a replacement.
Removed sata drive with Window on it and inserted new NVMe + usb with windows installation - stuck at Asus logo and instalation is not starting. Looked up in BIOS, new memory is on the list. Removed NVMe, restarted laptop and installation started.
Below are different combinations that I tried:
New NVMe + old NVMe (with originally installed Windows) - stuck at logo
New NVMe on its own - stuck at logo
Old NVMe on its own - stuck at logo
New NVMe + SATA drive with installed Windows - stuck at logo
New NVMe + bootable usb with Windows - stuck at logo
Old NVMe + bootable usb with Windows - stuck at logo
Bootable usb on its own - windows installation starting
Bootable usb + SATA drive - instalation starting
SATA drive on its own - Windows loading

Basically, laptop will not boot into Windows or start new installation if any of NVMe are mounted. I am able to get into BIOS will all above scenarios and both memories are listed with correct information.
Did anyone came across similar issue, please? I'm spending few hours a day trying to find the solution but I run out of ideas what is causing this problem.
Would that be that old NVMe indeed died and laptop does not support new one, even though its listed in BIOS, or something to do with the motherboard?

Sorry for long post.
3 REPLIES 3

jdfrench3
Level 12
Sounds like a hardware failure (NVMe Controller). It is part of the motherboard.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

BigJohnny
Level 13
Sounds like drive failure. First thing I did with my G752VY was slone the OS to a samsung 960 pro, actually a pair of them in raid 0 then put the old one away for safe keeping. Get a replacement NVMe drive and clone the sata drive that you got to work over to the Nvme. If its a samsung which I recommend over the e cheapos then the samsung data migration works nicely. If not then Macrium reflect is also a nice free one.

Aso advise putting a heat sink on the new one. Those puppies get hot and there is no airflow across the NVMe slots.

BigJohnny wrote:
Sounds like drive failure. First thing I did with my G752VY was slone the OS to a samsung 960 pro, actually a pair of them in raid 0 then put the old one away for safe keeping. Get a replacement NVMe drive and clone the sata drive that you got to work over to the Nvme. If its a samsung which I recommend over the e cheapos then the samsung data migration works nicely. If not then Macrium reflect is also a nice free one.

Aso advise putting a heat sink on the new one. Those puppies get hot and there is no airflow across the NVMe slots.

Unfortunately Windows will not boot if any NVMe drive is in the PCIe slot.