cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading the G20 GPU

BRalstonCWI
Level 7
I bought a G20 for $300 without doing much research to be honest. Once I got it it seemed fine while setting it up, playing Black Mesa, and Deus Ex. But, I bought it to let my son play and stream Minecraft with mods and shaders. Upon installing a x512 shader pack the pc began stuttering with the old 3GB GTX760. I bought an 8GB RX Vega GPU only to find out that the laptop style external PSU that runs the GPU was not powerful enough to run it. I came up with a solution, and I thought I'd share in case anyone else was trying to squeeze the remaining life out of this few year old gaming PC. I bought a 600w internal PSU to run the GPU externally. I removed the GTX 760, set the jumpers back to only use the single laptop style PSU that runs the MOBO, and installed the RX Vega. I ran a 2 8 pin PCIe to 1 8 pin PCIe power cable from the GPU out the back of the case. From there I've hooked it to the PSU, which I'm printing an enclosure for. I jumped the green wire and a black wire on the 24 pin harness to start the PSU. Now I just switch on the PSU then the PC and everything runs great. No problem with high resolution packs. Eventually, once the case is printed I'll use a harness with a switch to flip the external/Internal PSU on and off.

Starting the Installation.

GPU Installed.

PCIe Wires situated at the rear of the case.

PSU Hooked up.

Up and running perfectly.
2 REPLIES 2

BRalstonCWI
Level 7
So the things you need are:
Philips screw driver
A PSU large enough to run the GPU
Cables long enough to go from inside of the PC case to wherever you're mounting the PSU
Something to jump the green and black wires on the 24 pin connector on the PSU (paperclip, wire, jumper harness)

For a cleaner installation: (which I'm working on)
An enclosure
Jumper harness with a switch
Most likely a PCIe power wire extension cable.

BRalstonCWI wrote:
So the things you need are:
Philips screw driver
A PSU large enough to run the GPU
Cables long enough to go from inside of the PC case to wherever you're mounting the PSU
Something to jump the green and black wires on the 24 pin connector on the PSU (paperclip, wire, jumper harness)

For a cleaner installation: (which I'm working on)
An enclosure
Jumper harness with a switch
Most likely a PCIe power wire extension cable.

Hi! A tutorial with pictures and the final picture of the enclosure will be interesting