cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wifi problems after Bios Update

Mitcher
Level 7
Hello guys,

A fews days ago i updated the Bios of my ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wifi to the latest Version 2801 AGESA Combo 1.0.0.3. Before that, I used an old Version from Q4/2018.

I took pictures of my old settings to make sure I configure the new Bios exactly the same.
I changed the following settings:

AI Overclock Tuner: D.O.C.P. Standard
D.O.C.P: D.O.C.P. DDR4-3200 16-18-18-36 (I'am using Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz with these specs, can't change anything here)
Performance Enhancer: Level 3 (OC)
CPU Core Ratio: 41 (I'am using a Ryzen 7 2700X)
CPU Core Voltage: Offset mode + 0.05V
CPU fan speed: ignore (because low RPM fans on the AIO sometimes show an error messange when starting)
....all other settings in the Bios are on default.

After the Bios-update I have the following issues:
- if I switch off the PSU over night and then starting the PC next day, the mainboard is starting, shutting down after 3s, starting again and boot to windows (with the old Bios it always booted directly)
- if I leave the PSU on, the PC starts directly
- if I set D.O.C.P to default/auto, the system is starting directly...but the RAM only runs at 2133MHz (even if i switch off the PSU over night)
- if I set D.O.C.P to manual, the system is not starting at all (code F9)
- after booting to Windows, I always had Q-Code "A0" displayed, after the update the board displays Q-Code "AA" or "40"....as far as I know, code "40" means waking up from sleep mode, but it is also shown on coldboot sometimes

The system is working very stable, no problems at all. I still hope you have some ideas to "fix" this problems.

Kind Regards

Mitch
5 REPLIES 5

RedSector73
Level 12
Mitcher wrote:

- if I switch off the PSU over night and then starting the PC next day, the mainboard is starting, shutting down after 3s, starting again and boot to windows (with the old Bios it always booted directly)
- if I leave the PSU on, the PC starts directly
- if I set D.O.C.P to default/auto, the system is starting directly...but the RAM only runs at 2133MHz (even if i switch off the PSU over night)

Welcome to coincidences not meaning anything. Yes, you updated the bios but-
Turning off PSU is wearing out the bios battery faster.... and your's is at that time - to be replaced. Do this and I'll bet these issues are gone.

Logic,
With power on all the time to PSU typically get around 5 years from a bios battery (lowest I've seen is 3 years-cheap board&battery), it going to be whole lot less when turn that PSU off. If this is normal practice for you then I would expect to replace the bios every 2 years maybe less.

Hope you find this of help.

RedSector73 wrote:
Welcome to coincidences not meaning anything. Yes, you updated the bios but-
Turning off PSU is wearing out the bios battery faster.... and your's is at that time - to be replaced. Do this and I'll bet these issues are gone.

Logic,
With power on all the time to PSU typically get around 5 years from a bios battery (lowest I've seen is 3 years-cheap board&battery), it going to be whole lot less when turn that PSU off. If this is normal practice for you then I would expect to replace the bios every 2 years maybe less.

Hope you find this of help.

Hello, I have the same motherboard with similar problems after I apply the preset oc profile to my memory to 3600Mhz. It won't happen if I reset the bios to default. One of the problem I have is when I cold start or restart my pc, it could stuck at the boot stage with postcode 8d. And I also have these problems after the new bios update. I saw some similar issue on the Crosshair VIII hero wifi too. They fix it by lowering the SOC voltage to 1.0625.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?112717-Asus-ROG-CROSSHAIR-VIII-HERO-(Wi-Fi)-x570-won-t-POS...

Mitcher wrote:
The system is working very stable, no problems at all. I still hope you have some ideas to "fix" this problems.

Nickng wrote:
Hello, I have the same motherboard with similar problems after I apply the preset oc profile to my memory to 3600Mhz. It won't happen if I reset the bios to default. One of the problem I have is when I cold start or restart my pc, it could stuck at the boot stage with postcode 8d. And I also have these problems after the new bios update. I saw some similar issue on the Crosshair VIII hero wifi too. They fix it by lowering the SOC voltage to 1.0625.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?112717-Asus-ROG-CROSSHAIR-VIII-HERO-(Wi-Fi)-x570-won-t-POS...

I'm not really sure what triggered you to in the OP post to make this reply, OP never mentions the issue you appear to claim same too ?

Im not sure if you read Q-Code "AA" or "40" mentioned by OP, these are normal OP, btw.

Your Qcode "8d" error can be corrected by playing with SOC voltage, sure (sometimes), which you find I did mentioned in the post you linked (It's infinity fabric voltage - soc), but you can also correct it increasing the voltage slightly to the RAM. I recently found this out while tinkering with tighter ram timings and triggering 8d error, might be worth you investigating this possibility, as dropping SOC out of auto, for lower voltage does tend to hurt performance when compared.

You also might want to specify if you have the same CPU as OP, you mention same motherboard but then similar issue on the Crosshair VIII hero wifi too, again without specifying CPU or even why this relates, or ties in (what is the same issue, your seeing ?). I have these boards & 1800x, 2700x and 3900x but never needed anything but auto for SOC, so wondering if you care to explain why that might be ?

Nickng
Level 7
Similar things:
- if I leave the PSU on, the PC starts directly(Most of the times)
- after booting to Windows, I always had Q-Code "A0" displayed, after the update the board displays Q-Code "AA" or "40"....as far as I know, code "40" means waking up from sleep mode, but it is also shown on coldboot sometimes
- and it happens after the bios update

if I use the DOCP mode to standard, overclocking my memory to its default settings will have all the issues above. And now I'm having the AA postcode on my board when typing here. I've try to increase my memory voltage from 1.35v preset to 1.36,1.37,1.38v , and the problems doesn't solve. I didn't change the timings on the memory, just using the preset of DOCP standard.

CPU: 3700x
Ram: Kingston HyperX Predator 8GB*2 3600Mhz
MB: Crosshair VII Hero Wifi

Make sure you are using slots 2 & 4 from cpu from ram, not 1 & 3.
New Bios is out today v1005, try it and see if the issue is still present, if it then let me know the details and see if I can help you out.

I know your quoting from the manual / qcode page in your quote about the codes but Qcode AA or 40 really just indicate a successful hand over to the OS. Which one you have really does not matter.