cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG RTX 2080 Ti O11G Coil Whine?

nikkotuason
Level 7
Hello,

I just purchased a new GPU and I noticed a high pitched noise coming from the card (video provided) and I was just wondering if this is a normal thing with the ROG 2080 Ti O11Gs? For anyone that has the same card, does yours make a similar noise?

Thanks

https://youtu.be/7upeBAl4w1U
5 REPLIES 5

Undertoker
Level 9
Not mine bud
I’d rma it, you’ll get given a quieter card, that’s way too loud for 1400 quid
I9 14900K >ASUS ROG Strix RTX 4090 OC Edition
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME EATX Motherboard
ASUS ROG PG35VQ @ 200mhz in 3440x1440
Trident Z RGB 64GB DDR5 @ 6400mhz
Samsung 980 EVO Pro M.2 x 5 off
NZXT Z63 Kraken AIO CPU Cooler
NZXT H700i + Hue 2 (Pubg Edition) - Heavily modified
ASUS ROG THOR 1200w PSU
Corsair M65 RGB Mouse
Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard

mine doesn't make that sound. even full loaded during games and bench-marking.

With my Strix 2080 Ti OC, it has horrible coil whine under load. If I lock it at 30 FPS, you can't hear it at all. At 60 FPS, its slightly noticeable, but at 180 and higher, its very loud and quite annoying.

For the guys saying their cards are quiet, at what resolution and FPS are you gaming at? I'm running two Asus Swift 240hz 1080p panels.

I bought one Strix card on Amazon and sent it back due to the coil whine. I bought a replacement at Microcenter and its just as loud. I may try returning it, but IDK if it would be any better.

Shanester
Level 10
I swapped PSU's when my GPU was making noises. She hasn't made a sound since. I went from an EVGA(Superflower) to an ASUS Thor(Seasonic) and she's nice and quiet.

Hi guys,

I have coil whine too on my card but only when ray-tracing. Specially audible in this test, which is exclusively a ray tracing benchmark: https://marvizer.itch.io/simple-raytracing-benchmark

Please, coul you try it and tell me if it's a common issue to have coil whine but only while RT?

And even more audible if I set the TDP to 125%.

Thanks!