cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL704GW Laptop's CPU overheating during gaming (temps up to 100-105 celsius)

markec872
Level 7
I'll try to explain as fast and simple as possible... So, I have STRIX SCAR 2 GL704GW, i7 8750H, 115W RTX 2070, 16GB DDR4... And CPU is overheating up to 100 degrees celsius while gaming and 60-65 while doing nothing. I opened it up, cleaned everything from dust, opened cooling system repasted gpu, cpu, vram and power section closed everything and didnt notice diffirence. After that i undervolted CPU with INTEL XTU both the cache and core by -100mV. Didnt't help at all while gaming but at idle temps are 15% lower... WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT?
Please help me!
8 REPLIES 8

Passion64x
Level 7
in Power settings set Maximum processor state to 99% or use ThrottleStop and disable Turbo Boost . You won't notice any performance difference in games but your CPU temps will decrease a lot .

Passion64x wrote:
in Power settings set Maximum processor state to 99% or use ThrottleStop and disable Turbo Boost . You won't notice any performance difference in games but your CPU temps will decrease a lot .

worst idea ever, disabling turbo boost MEANS THAT YOU RUN 2200mhz.
that "99% of 100% (3.9ghz @ 6cores DOESNOT mean that your i7 8750h will run @ 99% of 3900mhz [ 3861mhz] NO NO NO.

why would you comment on something that can be proved WRONG in literally 30seconds. just don't post something that will make newcomers doing mistakes. SHAME on you.

chumacher wrote:
worst idea ever, disabling turbo boost MEANS THAT YOU RUN 2200mhz.
that "99% of 100% (3.9ghz @ 6cores DOESNOT mean that your i7 8750h will run @ 99% of 3900mhz [ 3861mhz] NO NO NO.

why would you comment on something that can be proved WRONG in literally 30seconds. just don't post something that will make newcomers doing mistakes. SHAME on you.

The guy never said it would run at 99% of the boost clocks. He said doing that would disable turbo boost, which is correct. The same can be achieved using Throttlestop. Just tick the "disable turbo" checkbox and it's done. Is it a good idea? Well, it depends. For me, that would be like buying a Ferrari and putting a brick under the gas pedal. But, to each their own. This workaround might work well for some but not for others.

What exactly are you trying to prove here with your redundant replies?

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
The guy never said it would run at 99% of the boost clocks. He said doing that would disable turbo boost, which is correct. The same can be achieved using Throttlestop. Just tick the "disable turbo" checkbox and it's done. Is it a good idea? Well, it depends. For me, that would be like buying a Ferrari and putting a brick under the gas pedal. But, to each their own. This workaround might work well for some but not for others.

What exactly are you trying to prove here with your redundant replies?

so now you are saying that you won't notice performance difference 6 cores @ 3900mhz and 6 cores @ 2200mhz.. OMG THESE FORUMS ARE SO BAD 😄

chumacher wrote:
so now you are saying that you won't notice performance difference 6 cores @ 3900mhz and 6 cores @ 2200mhz.. OMG THESE FORUMS ARE SO BAD 😄

Nope. Not what I said. It was actually the complete opposite.

The only bad thing here is your reading comprehension. If you don't like hanging out around here, just leave. Don't forget to close the door on your way out.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Nope. Not what I said. It was actually the complete opposite.

The only bad thing here is your reading comprehension. If you don't like hanging out around here, just leave. Don't forget to close the door on your way out.

I have now ignored you and your posts. you are completely useless member of this community.

chumacher wrote:
I have now ignored you and your posts. you are completely useless member of this community.

Don't blame me for your bad reading comprehension, buddy.
Talking about me being useless, when you're the one flaming people around the forums and giving redundant replies... makes a lot of sense.
Read my post history, it speaks for itself. I'm only here to help.

Good riddance.

Passion64x
Level 7
Just to make it clear running at 3,9 GHz on all cores instead of base clock , does not mean you will double your fps so there is no reason for you to ever run 6 cores on 3,9 unless you are doing some sort of synthetic tests. But there will be a massive heat output and with only couple % in performance gain . So :
1) Disable turbo boost and test it in games - you should lose like 10-15C (Most of the games are GPU intensive, so it should be fine )
2) If that not satisfy you - play with ThrottleStop and dial down the turbo multiplier till you are satisfied with the temps. For example 6 Cores active 2.4Ghz 4 Cores active 3.4 Ghz etc. 1-2 Cores max 4.1 Ghz . But definitely just try with Turbo boost disabled at first and see how it feels . Or use different profiles for gaming and normal use In ThrottleStop
3) Undervolt your GPU using MSI afterburner . There was a massive thread with how to go about it.
4) Always play with Capped fps ( you can do it with Riva Tuner ) I play everything capped at 116 Fps or lower . There is no reason to max your gpu and cpu at all times , pushing 400fps in game menus etc . Instead it will be capped at some number and CPU + GPU load will fall and temps will fall for that time .
5) Use max FAN speed
6) You will never be able to play on laptop with stock settings . Maybe some bulky laptops with insane cooling .