New ROGer Array

RMA Experience with ROG Swift PG348Q

I'd like to document my RMA experience with the ROG Swift Monitor (model PG348Q) for all potential future ASUS monitor customers. While the monitor has been outstanding up until it started having issues (18 months after purchase), my experience with getting an RMA and getting a replacement has been disconcerting.

I initially tried to generate an online RMA using the automated system. I'm a CS developer who creates react apps for a living, and know how to navigate websites. The automated system was unable to create an RMA, despite several attempts on several different days and using several different browsers/computers. Something in the automated RMA pipeline is broken.

Luckily, working with an online customer agent to get an RMA was time-consuming but straightforward. My monitor also shipped quickly to the nearest service center.

When the monitor arrived at the service center, ASUS inspected the monitor and claimed that nothing was wrong. They wanted to ship it back to me. I asked them to take a picture of the monitor, which before shipping it to them showed large blue flickering bars when turned on. After this request, they changed their position, stating that the monitor couldn't be repaired and I'd be sent a replacement. This was the first disconcerting red flag in the customer service experience.

After waiting several days, I contacted ASUS asking if they made progress on sending a replacement. A polite service representative proposed sending an "upgraded" model, the MX34VQ. This was the second red flag in the customer service experience. The MX34VQ is considered as the budget-friendly alternative to the monitor I purchased, including by reviewers who are sponsored by ASUS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cd_zwg4nGY). This was a step down, not an upgrade. The comparison sheet they sent was the third reg flag, which tried to inflate the performance of the MX34VQ relative to the PG348Q by listing the static contrast ratio for the ROG Swift and the dynamic contrast ratio of the MX34VQ.

Up until now I've always enjoyed ASUS products, including ASUS laptops and motherboards. This is my first RMA, and I'm deeply concerned that the quality and standards that go into the ASUS build team are different than those of the Service Support Team. I'll update this thread as the RMA experience continues.

New ROGer Array

Update on RMA

Today I received the following message:

"Thank you for responding back to the offer. We have informed the know that you declined this offer and your request. Once a comparable replacement model has been reserved for your RMA, you will be contacted with the replacement offer."

No sort of timeframe on when I might expect a replacement offer. 15 business days since I contacted ASUS about the problem, 10 since ASUS agreed to an RMA, 6 since the monitor Arrived at the service center.

New ROGer Array

After not receiving a reply from ASUS in 3 business days, I contacted the online customer service. I waited for 45 minutes. The customer service agent didn't read my comment or look into my case. They thought I was trying to create an RMA for a motherboard. Then they thought I wanted to create a new RMA. After 10 minutes of repeatedly clarifying basic information already included in my RMA, I finally got the customer service agent to understand the query. They then typed nearly verbatim the RMA subsection of my warranty, and they couldn't provide any specifics into my case, but could transfer me to the engineering dept.

I then talked to the engineering dept. They said my case was transferred to the customer service dept, so I should contact them. I asked to be transferred to the customer service dept. They said they didn't have that option, but if I started a new chat session I would be talking with a customer service rep. In other words, the first person I was chatting with was from the customer service dept.

At this point I don't know what to think. If I don't get an answer soon I think I'll just buy a new monitor now and sell the ROG swift when it comes back.

New ROGer Array

Received the following email from ASUS:

"We are reaching out to advise that we are still pending an update as it relates to your RMA status. We have requested an ETA as to when the replacement unit will be ship, once an update becomes available you will be notified accordingly. We apologize for any delays."

1 month since I contacted ASUS about the monitor, 3 weeks since RMA was approved, 2 weeks since ASUS received the monitor under warranty.

New ROGer Array

After 12 business days without getting a replacement monitor, and customer service stating that they have no units in stock and no ETA on when they may get a suitable monitor, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. 2 business days later, ASUS shipped a replacement monitor via 3-day shipping.

It's painfully obvious the service center had or were expecting replacement units, but did not want to send one. My guess is they had new monitors but were hoping to wait and send a refurbished monitor instead.

New ROGer Array

My ASUS replacement monitor arrived 2 days after being shipped, 4 days after the BBB sent an inquiry to ASUS. The monitor was either new or packaged and performed like new. One email from the BBB produced more action from ASUS than multiple hours on the phone and several hundred dollars of lost productivity time from a frequent customer.

To summarize my experience with my PG348Q RMA, I imagine it's similar to a Ferarri owner taking their beloved car to a questionable mechanic. I love the experience of using the high end line of ASUS products, including ROG Swift monitors, ROG Zephryus laptops, and Crosshair Hero motherboards. But I'm no longer sure the enjoyment of using high performance products outweighs the frustration, lost time, lack of transparency, and overall lack of respect for customer concerns during the ASUS RMA process. Do you drive a Ferrari if you don't trust the only European mechanic in town?

New ROGer Array

Where are you from? Where is that customer center located?

New ROGer Array nikkotuason PC Specs
    nikkotuason PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus XI Apex Z390
    ProcessorIntel Core i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C16D-32GTRS
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti O11G
    MonitorSamsung CHG70 32"
    Storage #1970 Evo Plus M.2 2280 1TB
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X72 360mm
    CaseLian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200 1200W
    Keyboard Logitech G815
    Mouse Logitech G703
    Headset Audeze LCD-4
    Mouse Pad Logitech G840
    Headset/Speakers Kanto YU4 + Kanto SUB8 8"
    OS Windows 10 64

I believe this is normal ASUS RMA practice. Similar thing happened to me when RMAing my Strix 2080 Ti O11G, I'd be shocked if you didn't have to fight tooth and nail to have your in warranty item serviced in a timely manner with ASUS.