cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphic's Card displays "No Signal"

Jord9857
Level 7
Hello all,

I've got a ROG GTX 1060 GPU, however when i plug an HDMI cable in it doesn't pick up the monitor.
I've tried installing the driver for this GPU on another laptop hard drive with my laptop, then put that hard drive into my new gaming pc but no luck as the installation of the driver tries and detects the GPU on my laptop which isn't there.
I have got ROG ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z motherboard which doesn't have onboard Graphics to boot up into safe mode etc or generally to then install the driver.

The fans and LED's are working on the graphic's card as it's plugged in via a 8pin as required so i know i don't have any issues there with this graphic's card.

Please help! Any suggestion / ideas more than welcome & would be really helpful!

Kind Regards
Jord
9 REPLIES 9

RedSector73
Level 12
Try different hdmi cable.

Try different hdmi connection points on card and monitor (assuming it has them).

Re-seat the graphics card in the pcie slot, while doing so, look for any dust or foreign material in the pcie slot and remedy if present.

RedSector73 wrote:
Try different hdmi cable.

Try different hdmi connection points on card and monitor (assuming it has them).

Re-seat the graphics card in the pcie slot, while doing so, look for any dust or foreign material in the pcie slot and remedy if present.

Tried different HDMI cables and other monitor.
Tried all the PCIE slots on my motherboard but no further improvement from 'No Signal'

Is this a new system or just upgrade of the card ?

Here check these things (motherboard manual)

Check the dip switch's are not all disabled (2-35)

Check you have connected the power above the CPU (2-38)

Beep codes (2-56)

Hope you find this of help 😉

RedSector73 wrote:

Beep codes (2-56)

New System, however when i plug in power to the top left (A) pins up the top it trips out the power to the whole system...

RedSector73 wrote:

Beep codes (2-56)

Also just checked, all these switches are turned on. However there is a orange light by the ASUS network card & another orange light by the BIOS_LED.

The power pins in the top left corner which trip out has 'ATX 12V' next to it if that helps on why?

Unable to upload photos unfortunately just tried.

Jord9857 wrote:
Also just checked, all these switches are turned on. However there is a orange light by the ASUS network card & another orange light by the BIOS_LED.

The power pins in the top left corner which trip out has 'ATX 12V' next to it if that helps on why?

Unable to upload photos unfortunately just tried.

Motherboard LEDs are covered in your motherboard manual and what they mean. Refer to pages 2-20, 2-21, 2-22, plus maybe 2-23 & 224 which are interesting.

Jord9857 wrote:
New System, however when i plug in power to the top left (A) pins up the top it trips out the power to the whole system...

Without EATX-12v ('A' 2-38) plugged in you cannot boot. The no signal post would be consistent with this not being plugged in. So in this aspect it's 'a' but not maybe 'the' problem found. Tripping out is not normal response and is normally caused by a dead short.

Try without the video card to rule out the card itself.
Dead short / trip out, can be caused, if you have stand off screw in the wrong place under motherboard (ie - not lining up with the screw holes into the motherboard).
Bent or damaged pins on cpu/motherboard slot.
Other item causing dead short. (I've seen people bend the IO shield tabs when installing the motherboard and it cause a dead short)

"The good news is the PSU is protecting your system and shutting down before damage can be done." You need to find out why this is happening.

If you cant fix / remedy, I would suggest you may have a defective board. Still I would bench test that idea before RMA (set it up outside the case, like in the box or non conductive surface). I like to be sure.

I plugged the other 4 pin power connector I wasnt using into this and seems to be fine now. However still displaying no signal on both monitors and it keeps cutting out then rebooting so I reckon the CPU is getting too hot as the heatsink I got is too small.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Download and launch HWmonitor sensors only and see what your CPU is actually doing for heat, voltage and frequency.

UPDATE

---

I replaced the PSU with a Corsair CX600. Now everything is being powered with the correct pins & amount of pins.

All turns on fine but both monitors still staying 'No signal'...

Plus i bought & Installed a new heatsink.