cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL503VM sudden shutdowns

zanecz
Level 7
Suddenly this week, my laptop randomly shut down twice in one evening. It just happened this morning, thankfully while I was using it so I have some info. First, everything lagged so horribly, on desktop. My mouse moved extremely slowly after a delay of like 3 seconds. It stayed like that for about 15 seconds, then the laptop just went off and restarted. That makes it 3 times this week so far. I did clean the vents with compressed air, which is precisely made for electronics dust cleaning, so I have no idea how it could be the problem. First throttling out of the box, and doing this when I cleaned it (if you're wondering, compressed air didn't help with the throttling)
9 REPLIES 9

chumacher
Level 7
zanecz wrote:
Suddenly this week, my laptop randomly shut down twice in one evening. It just happened this morning, thankfully while I was using it so I have some info. First, everything lagged so horribly, on desktop. My mouse moved extremely slowly after a delay of like 3 seconds. It stayed like that for about 15 seconds, then the laptop just went off and restarted. That makes it 3 times this week so far. I did clean the vents with compressed air, which is precisely made for electronics dust cleaning, so I have no idea how it could be the problem. First throttling out of the box, and doing this when I cleaned it (if you're wondering, compressed air didn't help with the throttling)

"i cleaned the laptop with professional dust cleaning compressed air"

well what are your temps? during stress testing, please understand that these laptops tend to overheat very easily, have you undervolted your cpu if not you should.

chumacher wrote:
"i cleaned the laptop with professional dust cleaning compressed air"

well what are your temps? during stress testing, please understand that these laptops tend to overheat very easily, have you undervolted your cpu if not you should.

My idle temps on a balanced power plan are 46-53. A CPU stress with undervolting and disabling Turbo will get CPU temps around 80, but as soon as I do something GPU intensive both CPU and GPU go over 95 and the PC starts throttling so hard making it impossible to play any game.
I've tried every trick possible. I've undervolted my GPU (which caused me many problems, mostly PC restarting when GPU load is heavy), and it didn't really drop temps at all. Undervolting my CPU and limiting Turbo dropped my temps fairly well, but I feel like my GPU is the problem here. I couldn't find any other solution, any changes to the voltage curve just result in PC and game crashes so I stayed away from that. I just bought a Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and I'm planning on repasting soon. I'll probably make a new thread if I get interesting results

zanecz wrote:
My idle temps on a balanced power plan are 46-53. A CPU stress with undervolting and disabling Turbo will get CPU temps around 80, but as soon as I do something GPU intensive both CPU and GPU go over 95 and the PC starts throttling so hard making it impossible to play any game.
I've tried every trick possible. I've undervolted my GPU (which caused me many problems, mostly PC restarting when GPU load is heavy), and it didn't really drop temps at all. Undervolting my CPU and limiting Turbo dropped my temps fairly well, but I feel like my GPU is the problem here. I couldn't find any other solution, any changes to the voltage curve just result in PC and game crashes so I stayed away from that. I just bought a Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and I'm planning on repasting soon. I'll probably make a new thread if I get interesting results

Undervolting the GPU, when done correctly, can make a huge difference. If it's crashing, you're pushing it too far. It takes a lot of time and patience but it's worth it. Don't just copy and paste a curve you saw somewhere around the internet. Usually it doesn't work properly as each chip comes out different from the production line.
Repasting is going to drop 2 or 3c if you're lucky, unless you got a bad unit from the factory. Don't expect any miraculous results.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Undervolting the GPU, when done correctly, can make a huge difference. If it's crashing, you're pushing it too far. It takes a lot of time and patience but it's worth it. Don't just copy and paste a curve you saw somewhere around the internet. Usually it doesn't work properly as each chip comes out different from the production line.
Repasting is going to drop 2 or 3c if you're lucky, unless you got a bad unit from the factory. Don't expect any miraculous results.

Well, my laptop has always throttled when playing any demanding game. The idle temps were 66-67 and while playing games both the cpu and the gpu went up to 96. I think that could be a bad unit from the factory, as I've watched some videos and altho the temps are high due to the laptop being thin, but it shouldn't be throttling that hard. Most people had temps not going over 80 and barely reaching 90.

I've followed some guides for undervolting the GPU, but as I said the unstability tends to show up a few hours or days after the undervolt in the form of sudden shutdowns/restarts or games crashing more often. Do you have any guide that is more fool-proof?

I also want to add that while I have the Kryonaut, I have never repasted or opened a laptop, so I'm kinda worried. I see there are only 2 videos on YT on opening the GL503. Do you have any experience with repasting? Could you help me with any advice?

zanecz wrote:
Well, my laptop has always throttled when playing any demanding game. The idle temps were 66-67 and while playing games both the cpu and the gpu went up to 96. I think that could be a bad unit from the factory, as I've watched some videos and altho the temps are high due to the laptop being thin, but it shouldn't be throttling that hard. Most people had temps not going over 80 and barely reaching 90.

I've followed some guides for undervolting the GPU, but as I said the unstability tends to show up a few hours or days after the undervolt in the form of sudden shutdowns/restarts or games crashing more often. Do you have any guide that is more fool-proof?

I also want to add that while I have the Kryonaut, I have never repasted or opened a laptop, so I'm kinda worried. I see there are only 2 videos on YT on opening the GL503. Do you have any experience with repasting? Could you help me with any advice?

That's definitely too high for idle temps. The cpu can spike up to mid/high 90c while gaming but the GPU should stay under 80c ideally.
What I usually do to undervolt is watch what's the maximum clock/voltage the GPU reaches while under 100% load and start from there. Like I said, takes a lot of trial and error, but it's worth it. I could squeeze more performance and better temps out of my 1070 by doing it. Out of the box, it boosts up to around 1530mhz @ 83C, now it's boosting up to 1810MHZ @ 77C 100% load. Better performance, lower temperatures.
I don't know of an easy to follow guide, but you can try this one https://polycount.com/discussion/192665/undervolting-benefits (just leave the memory clocks alone for now). Once you figure out how the curve works, you'll see that it becomes pretty much straight forward.

About the repaste, the only concern would be the thermal pads. I don't know if the 503 uses pads or a thermal compound instead. If it uses pads, it should be an easy job. If not, you're gonna have to replace that stuff with pads (which can be tricky), or you can just buy some of that paste and save yourself the trouble. It's called K5Pro and you can buy it on amazon.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
That's definitely too high for idle temps. The cpu can spike up to mid/high 90c while gaming but the GPU should stay under 80c ideally.
What I usually do to undervolt is watch what's the maximum clock/voltage the GPU reaches while under 100% load and start from there. Like I said, takes a lot of trial and error, but it's worth it. I could squeeze more performance and better temps out of my 1070 by doing it. Out of the box, it boosts up to around 1530mhz @ 83C, now it's boosting up to 1810MHZ @ 77C 100% load. Better performance, lower temperatures.
I don't know of an easy to follow guide, but you can try this one https://polycount.com/discussion/192665/undervolting-benefits (just leave the memory clocks alone for now). Once you figure out how the curve works, you'll see that it becomes pretty much straight forward.

About the repaste, the only concern would be the thermal pads. I don't know if the 503 uses pads or a thermal compound instead. If it uses pads, it should be an easy job. If not, you're gonna have to replace that stuff with pads (which can be tricky), or you can just buy some of that paste and save yourself the trouble. It's called K5Pro and you can buy it on amazon.

Do I have to replace the thermal pads? I only have the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, and I prefer to replace only the paste on the CPU and GPU. Can that be done without having to mess with any pads, and still impacting temperatures?

zanecz wrote:
Do I have to replace the thermal pads? I only have the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, and I prefer to replace only the paste on the CPU and GPU. Can that be done without having to mess with any pads, and still impacting temperatures?

If they're in good shape, not really. Just don't damage them in the process.

Alright, I opened the laptop following a video on YouTube of the same model, and everything was going well until I reached this little screw that didn't want to turn at all. I also must have damaged it with the screwdriver, even though I was careful with it.
Thankfully all the other screws came off smoothly, and I was able to lift off the heatsink enough to see the CPU and GPU (it was so dry and most of the surface of the GPU and CPU was visible, which came as no surprise). I actually sneaked in the syringe and squeezed out a generous amount of thermal paste, then reassembled the laptop.

Good news is idle temps are now 40-45c, CPU on 100% is 55-60c (2.8GHz and -110v undervolt) and GPU on 100% on FurMark was 76c (got up to 95c before), Witcher 3 on Ultra GPU reached 87. Now I know these are not the best results, I didn't even clean off the older dry thermal paste because of that one little screw, but I'm satisfied with it because it's better than 90+ and throttling. When I have time I'll look more into GPU undervolting hopefully that's going to help drop the temps a bit, seeing as I haven't changed anything in GPU configuration during these results. And thanks a lot PMFULLMETALJACKET7 for the help.

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Good to know you're back in business!