cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Friend wants a gaming notebook... Money no object!

Throw_Lemons
Level 7
Hey there, I am new to this website and I have a question for all of you. What kind of notebook should my friend get, if he has lots of money to spend on it? This is a list directly from him with what he wants:

-Lots of RAM! I don't mind overkill!
-Lots of HDD space, witn a decently sized SSD for the boot drive.
-The best graphics card suitable for a notebook.
-NO 3D! I can't see it!
-What is the speediest Blu-Ray drive you can get? Will a DVD drive be as just as good for gaming?
-Backlit keyboard. (I like them!)
-What is the best WLAN card like? What can it do?
-At least one USB 3.0, can you get a USB 3.0 splitter so you can have more ports?
-Bluetooth
-Really good speaker system, what is the best gaming headset you recommend?
-I like the shape and design of the Asus R.O.G notebooks, but if there are any other notebooks that maybe fill more of the above needs, what are they?
-The best gaming mouse.
-What other accessories do you recommend? I would quite like a laptop rucksack.

Budget: £10'000

This is what he would like, and if you are wondering, why does he have such a big budget for a notebook? He works for his money, he is a doctor.

Thanks for any help you may provide!
17 REPLIES 17

dstrakele
Level 14
I'd probably send your doctor to Gentech PC or Xotic PC to get a customized system with all the goodies he wants.....
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Area_66
Level 11
$ 15,000 , Is this a Joke ?

Boosted_R
Level 8
If he has that much money to spend, there is WAY BETTER laptop out there than ASUS G series...... do what dstrakele suggested
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

This isn't a joke! He just wants a half decent portable entertainment system I suppose! He just thought £10'000 and I thought you would be able to get a lot with that!

Thanks, for the links for those website, I have never seen those before as we are based in the U.K!

He only said those things because that is what he first thought of, plus we both don't know a lot about computers, but enough to get us by.

Sorry if I sounded a little, uhhh, cocky, or posh or something or offended you. I was only trying to make sure that you don't think he is a drug dealer or something!

I posted on this website, because I am looking for something a little cheaper, and one of these will be great, but I am not in the market for one at the moment.

Throw Lemons wrote:

Thanks, for the links for those website, I have never seen those before as we are based in the U.K!

since your based in the UK, you might save some money from buying from north america, because the prices seem to get jacked up in europe.... depending on your import laws... good luck
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

Yep, Jealousy is definitely in play here! Especially on my part! I am a junior doctor and he has been qualified for 10 years, doesn't have a family, and gets a very healthy wage...

He has a MacBook Pro, but it isn't great for gaming. He wants a gaming notebook like this because MacBook isn't great for that.

I checked the websites you linked me, and the xoptic one, I managed to get a 17" Saga notebook up to $8000 with the specs that he would want!

But, what 5.1 / 7.1 surround sound system would you recommend? Decent gaming headset?

What gaming mouse would you recommend, because I definitely know that the most expensive isn't always the best!

Throw Lemons wrote:
But, what 5.1 / 7.1 surround sound system would you recommend?
This alone, has an entire community of support at avsforum.com. They'll provide much more information in much more depth than the advice you would get here.
Hi, I'm Dan.

dstrakele
Level 14
You could also search for other sites that offer to customize the laptops they sell. You may find a local retailer. Those 2 I referenced were right off the top of my head.

Don't worry about anyone being offended. I think JEALOUSY is the emotion in play here..... ;>{)>

With a budget like that for an entertainment laptop, I would probably be looking at a Macbook Pro (you know with the whole iPad, iPod, iPhone, upcoming Apple TV ecosystem sort of thing...). You have the ability to get a really tightly integrated total entertainment system.

If YOU are looking for a lower budget system, ASUS, MSI, and Sager would be worthwhile investigating.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Dominus
Level 7
clevo is a nice choise too...

edit:
Throw Lemons wrote:
What gaming mouse would you recommend, because I definitely know that the most expensive isn't always the best!

i'm using Roccat Kone+.... and i'm very happy with the choice i made!
Your lack of skills it's just depressing!