cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to downgrade your Bios using Winflash

Omnikam
Level 8
Hey this is my first post which i hope will help some people
I have an ASUS G74sx laptop and recently upgraded my Bios with a hacked one, For reasons not relevant i decided i wanted to downgrade , I attempted to use Winflash but it reported that it was an older version and greyed out the Flash option.
After some research into the problem i found that it you created a Bootable usb stick and armed it with dos flashing programs that it could be done, but was this Really the easiest way? the answer is NO.
All you need to do is have Winflash installed and launch it through Command Prompt, Command Prompt can be found under Start Menu under Accessories
Now in Command Prompt navigate to where you have Winflash installed, for me i just entered " cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\WinFlash " with out the ""
Now simply enter "Winflash /nodate" without the "" and then select your desired bios file, ignore the warning about it being an older version and press Flash. All done, the computer will now reboot and you have successfully downgraded your Bios
12 REPLIES 12

xeromist
That does seem simpler. 🙂
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I have successfully tried this method on a Zenbook UX32VD to downgrade from BIOS 212 to 211. The 212 version was causing serious SATA drive detection issue; my Crutial M4 256GB (firmware 010G) was detected once over 10 power up.
Thanks!

DrBeltway
Level 9
It should be mentioned that some people have had trouble with WinFlash ('bricking' the notebook) and recommend using the EasyFlash utility accessible through the BIOS.

I'd be interested to know if the EasyFlash utility requires a similar workaround to flash an older BIOS.
G74Sx - BIOS 203

zsld0423
Level 9
I don't know for certain, but I seem to recall that you can flash any version of the BIOS inside EasyFlash (That applies specifically to your computer)
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate

doc_computeur
Level 7
No, Unfortunately, EASYFLASH consignments an alert message and blocks the process downgrad : (

larrypage
Level 7
I tried this method successfully Zenbook UX32VD, if desired, restore the BIOS version was serious 212-211212 SATA detect issue crutial my M4 256GB (firmware 010G) was observed in more than 10 times.

BeeJay120
Level 7
Thanks Omnikam, this method worked for me! 😄

ZIXEL
Level 7
Ty so much i flashed my 207 bios g551jw to T06 trhotilng at 82C ty
GG WP

I can recommend >>> http://voltground.com

I just play StarCraft II

boak8
Level 7
Omnikam wrote:
Hey this is my first post which i hope will help some people
I have an ASUS G74sx laptop and recently upgraded my Bios with a hacked one, For reasons not relevant i decided i wanted to downgrade , I attempted to use Winflash but it reported that it was an older version and greyed out the Flash option.
After some research into the problem i found that it you created a Bootable usb stick and armed it with dos flashing programs that it could be done, but was this Really the easiest way? the answer is NO.
All you need to do is have Winflash installed and launch it through Command Prompt, Command Prompt can be found under Start Menu under Accessories
Now in Command Prompt navigate to where you have Winflash installed, for me i just entered " cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\WinFlash " with out the ""
Now simply enter "Winflash /nodate" without the "" and then select your desired bios file, ignore the warning about it being an older version and press Flash. All done, the computer will now reboot and you have successfully downgraded your Bios

Thanks for a useful instruction! I used it to reflash the BIOS for my UX303LN laptop and it worked great. Now my laptop's sleep mode works normally again after a lot of struggle and troubleshooting.