cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Help] Asus Aura is the bane of my existence

EeK9X
Level 7
I built my system in 2017, with an Asus Maximus IX Formula motherboard, G.Skill Trident Z RGB RAM and CableMod WideBeam RGB LED strips - all Aura Sync-compatible.

Installed Aura and had fun with it for a while - until I noticed the CPU utilization by the Aura service was between 15 and 20%. Uninstalled the software and my color settings stuck, which was nice, so I never bothered with Aura again.

Fast forward to 2019. Around May of this year, I performed a clean installation of Windows 10 1903. Aura devices obviously reverted to their default rainbow color cycling, so I installed the software again (most recent version).

Even with the updated version of the Aura app, CPU utilization remained in the 15-20% range, so I set a profile and proceeded to uninstall the software, as I had done before. Only this time, the mobo and LED strips stayed a static color after uninstalling, and the RAM reverted to its default state (rainbow color cycling). With the PC off, the mobo and RAM both exhibit their default behavior (as configured in the BIOS).

Onto the problem: I can't get Aura to work anymore, no matter how many times I uninstall and reinstall it.

Things that I've tried between installs (always restarting Windows after each and every step):

• Deleting the "LightingService" XML profile file;
  • "Unblocking" the zip file containing the downloaded files before extracting them;
  • Using a registry cleaner to delete old entries;
  • Deleting Aura using Revo Uninstaller and running its junk cleaner several times after multiple restarts;
  • Running the Aura Cleaner software (found a Google Drive link after googling), which doesn't do anything.

All of those alleged "fixes" were found online. None worked for me. Regardless of what I do, I always get the "Aura Service is currently unavailable" error message when starting the latest version of Aura (1.07.71 - downloaded directly from Asus's website), even though AuraService is running in the background.

I also tried installing the version listed in my mobo's support page (1.07.55). That one actually starts, but gives me a different error message, stating that the program couldn't find any Aura-compatible devices and asking me to click on "refresh". I click on "refresh" one hundred times, and it still doesn't find anything - no mobo, RAM or LED strips.

I could definitely use some help. I really don't want to clean install Windows again just because of stupid Aura.
5 REPLIES 5

EeK9X
Level 7
Anyone?

HisEvilness
Level 7
win key + x --> run --> type: services.msc --> scroll down and look for LightningService --> restart or stop and start

Most of the time this portion of Aura is acting up i also at times use the TridentZ RGB software to uninstall this and reinstall it.

HisEvilness wrote:
win key + x --> run --> type: services.msc --> scroll down and look for LightningService --> restart or stop and start

Most of the time this portion of Aura is acting up i also at times use the TridentZ RGB software to uninstall this and reinstall it.

Thanks for replying!

I've tried restarting the LightingService service multiple times, but it didn't make a difference.

As for the Trident Z RGB software, what exactly is your process? Do you install Aura first, then the Trident Z RGB software, and uninstall everything?

I've learned that, when it comes to Aura, you have to follow the steps in a very specific manner, hence my question. Would you mind providing me more details?

cekeu
Level 12
If we erase the registry keys before reinstalling it there will be some bugs

HisEvilness
Level 7
Last time I ran into problems and I run Aura/iCue/RGB Sync with TridentZ I removed all the software in terms of RGB, Aura, AURA Service, iCue, GALAX GAMER RGB/Patriot Viper RGB, use CCleaner to clean up my registry and folders etc. Then install iCue and then Aura.