cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2950X Overclock - what is possible and needed?

Alexauwa
Level 7
Hey guys, ich plan to set up a video editing system for the AMD 2950X and plan a decent overclock.

I plan 64 GB 3200 ram and a gtx 1080. Gpu will be slightly overclocked too.

Cooling will be a Alphacool Eisbaer Extreme oder a Alphacool Eisbaer LT360.

What Mainboard would you recommend?
What is the 2950X capable of in terms of overclock?
How extreme are cpu Temps and tdp?
What case would you recommend?

Thanks, Alex
6 REPLIES 6

BigJohnny
Level 13
Budget?
Zenith Extreme is one of the better X399 AMD boards

Heres a good place to look.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/?compatible_with=bnrmP6

Case is all about preference. Will all the hardware fit, can you cool it with the the space you have and again.....budget.

Capability of overclock relies on the silicon lottery. Somme are spuds as in they are lucky to hit stock clocks and some will get you quite a bit more. motherboard power delivery and cooling play a big part in this. TDP can be found it the spec sheet and thats what dictates your cooling.

Most of this will depend on budget. With few exceptions you have to lift your leg high if you want to run with the big dogs........as in pry open that wallet.

BigJohnny wrote:
Budget?
Zenith Extreme is one of the better X399 AMD boards

Heres a good place to look.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/?compatible_with=bnrmP6

Case is all about preference. Will all the hardware fit, can you cool it with the the space you have and again.....budget.

Capability of overclock relies on the silicon lottery. Somme are spuds as in they are lucky to hit stock clocks and some will get you quite a bit more. motherboard power delivery and cooling play a big part in this. TDP can be found it the spec sheet and thats what dictates your cooling.

Most of this will depend on budget. With few exceptions you have to lift your leg high if you want to run with the big dogs........as in pry open that wallet.

Thanks mate. When overclocking, how does these AMDs work? Will I get the turbo boost of 4.4 Ghz for all cores for sure? Like on the 9900K, some people get 4.8 or 5.0 Ghz on all cores as an overclock. So I might end up getting only 4.2 Ghz or 4.6 Ghz?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
All core OCs are generally lower than single core boost clocks.
Expect 4.1...4.2GHz and you wont be disappointed.

You will want excellent cooling for sustained loads at those speeds on so many cores.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
All core OCs are generally lower than single core boost clocks.
Expect 4.1...4.2GHz and you wont be disappointed.

You will want excellent cooling for sustained loads at those speeds on so many cores.

Thanks mate. I think I will try both 9900ks and 3900x for video editing as I can't make up my mind. Dunno which will perform better.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Check out a site called Puget Systems...they do extensive reviews of systems and running different video software...you might get a clue for your particular use case...

Often less cores at higher clocks works best...so Intel systems often win out for single software use cases.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Check out a site called Puget Systems...they do extensive reviews of systems and running different video software...you might get a clue for your particular use case...

Often less cores at higher clocks works best...so Intel systems often win out for single software use cases.

Thx mate