cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GU502GV Heat issues

abteenz
Level 7
I just bought a GU502GV Core i7-9750H with RTX2060.

Immediately noticed that this thing is HOT! I am completely aware of the fact this laptop is too compact for the hardware and 9750 simply runs hot.

In a normal usage scenario(Web browsing, Microsoft Office, Photoshop,...) the CPU temperature varies between 48 to 54. On Silent mode I could keep it at 40-42.

When playing Games the CPU temperature easily hits 95 and undervolting or using windows power percentage in CPU section of the power plan didn't make any difference.

The thing that bugs me is that there is no balance, after less than 30 minutes of simple work, you start to feel the heat under your left palm on the chassis of the laptop and the fans start to whooosh. My point is you have to bear with the thermal discomfort under your palm and the noise that the fan makes!

Another thing that I noticed is when exiting the game there is no way that the temperatures will drop under 60. They will remain there unless you power off the device for a while. Is this because of poor thermal paste application?

I'm thinking about repasting with liquid metal and using thermal pads on any other chip under the heat sink.

Any suggestions?
2 REPLIES 2

keyboardhouse
Level 7
my laptop also having a heat issue after windows 10 1903 update i dont know exactly wich update version and having a BSOD issue (even this laptop is 2 old months)
before that whe I playing the games the temprature is upto 75 and now it could hit upto 88 - 90 celcius.

we have the same CPU and GPU my laptop is G531GV, have you checked your windows 10 update? cuz mine is updating itself and also it updating the BIOS by itself, my thoughts for my laptop its all caused by windows or bad drivers (not compatible drivers or outdated drivers for windows latest update).

how do you undervolt your cpu? what kind of programs did you use? and whats the max voltage drops? im using throttlestop and now I dont use it I thought my bsod caused by undervolting the cpu

Dimberez
Level 7
abteenz wrote:
I just bought a GU502GV Core i7-9750H with RTX2060.

Immediately noticed that this thing is HOT! I am completely aware of the fact this laptop is too compact for the hardware and 9750 simply runs hot.

In a normal usage scenario(Web browsing, Microsoft Office, Photoshop,...) the CPU temperature varies between 48 to 54. On Silent mode I could keep it at 40-42.

When playing Games the CPU temperature easily hits 95 and undervolting or using windows power percentage in CPU section of the power plan didn't make any difference......

You just described my GU502gv before I found the source of the problem!!!
I bought my laptop used, so I didn't really know what temps are normal for it. Gaming in "Silent" mode would bring CPU to 86*C, switching to Performance or Turbo takes it to 96. Everything I read said it was kinda normal and laptops are designed to handle higher temps.
Took it apart to inspect the thermal paste and found lots of dust and wool clogging up all exhaust vents. Cleaned all out with air compressor and a brush and now enjoying a 20*C drop in performance mode. Idles around 37, CS GO in performance mode stays under 76, the keyboard is barely warm and no longer burns my fingers. Planning on repasting with Liquid Metal this weekend because the original paste didn't look good.