cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero XI suddenly having restart issues goes to memok bios screen

Mobber
Level 7
Im suddenly having issues with restarting my PC about half the time. Doesn't seem to happen when booting from shut down, only restarts. I've been running the same bios settings for about a year without issue. Any ideas what's causing this?
6 REPLIES 6

bass_junkie_xl
Level 11
asus x hero wifi z 370 latest bios 2103 same thing memory training = 4 restarts and a mem safe ok screen when the ram is perfectly stable and fine shut off mch full check and fast boot to on under memory timmings near the bottom
Rig # 1 - 14900Ks SP-118 | 87 MC @ 6.0 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR5 48GB @ 8,600 c36 | Strix RTX 4090 | PG27AQN 1440P 27" 360 Hz G-Sync ULMB 2

Rig # 2 - 14900K-SP-120 | 89 MC @ 5.9 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR4 32GB @ 4,300 c15 | Strix RTX 3080 | Aoc 1080P 25" 240 Hz G-Sync

What Q-code does it display and are any of the LED's on under the q-code display?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
bass junkie xl wrote:
asus x hero wifi z 370 latest bios 2103 same thing memory training = 4 restarts and a mem safe ok screen when the ram is perfectly stable and fine shut off mch full check and fast boot to on under memory timmings near the bottom
Memory instability. The applied settings arent passing training, so the subsequent restarts are the system attempting to do so. With XMP 1 applied, try using Maximus Tweak Mode 1. You may need to tune VCSSA depending on the CPU and memory kit. Â*

Mobber wrote:
Im suddenly having issues with restarting my PC about half the time. Doesn't seem to happen when booting from shut down, only restarts. I've been running the same bios settings for about a year without issue. Any ideas what's causing this?

Hard resets can be a sign of memory instability, test your applied settings with a memory stress test such as HCI Mem test pro or Karhu ram test.

You may also wish to check your event log to see if the system is logging stop codes, and test the system with a different power supply if possible.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Mobber
Level 7
So I seemed to have fixed it. I had already done substantial memory stability test before but thanks for the suggestions. It seems my bios had somehow gotten corrupted or something weird with it. I went into bios and loaded optimized defaults. Then I loaded windows and downloaded the latest bios (which is what I was running before) and put it on a freshly formatted USB. I then loaded bios and flashed the bios. I reentered all my overclock settings and it's been running flawlessly ever since. I've done multiple restarts and cold boots with no resets. I'm wondering if something happened when I originally flashed this bios and it didn't quite flash properly or something. Very odd but seems to be working good now so happy about that.

Mobber wrote:
So I seemed to have fixed it. I had already done substantial memory stability test before but thanks for the suggestions. It seems my bios had somehow gotten corrupted or something weird with it. I went into bios and loaded optimized defaults. Then I loaded windows and downloaded the latest bios (which is what I was running before) and put it on a freshly formatted USB. I then loaded bios and flashed the bios. I reentered all my overclock settings and it's been running flawlessly ever since. I've done multiple restarts and cold boots with no resets. I'm wondering if something happened when I originally flashed this bios and it didn't quite flash properly or something. Very odd but seems to be working good now so happy about that.

Still sounds like memory instability. Subsequent clear of the UEFI / flash probably cleared whatever was stuck in NVRAM.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Mobber
Level 7
How do I test for memory instability more? I've ran memtest hci for 1000% with no errors. Ive ran prime and occt without crashes and I'm not getting crashes when I use the computer. No resets since I flashed new bios. I'm running the xmp profile on the ram 32gb@4000mhz with io 1.25 sa1.25