ROG Member Array

Hero XI suddenly having restart issues goes to memok bios screen

Im suddenly having issues with restarting my PC about half the time. Doesn't seem to happen when booting from shut down, only restarts. I've been running the same bios settings for about a year without issue. Any ideas what's causing this?

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array bass junkie xl PC Specs
    bass junkie xl PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rog X Hero Z-370 ( Wifi ) bios -2103
    Processori9-9900 Ks @ 5.0 @ 1.23v @ manual vcore , De Lid + rockit cool copper ihs
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB 3000 Mhz cl-14 @ 4000 Mhz cl-17-19-19-39 @1.4v 1.21v vccio/vcssa
    Graphics Card #1Msi Gtx 1080 TI FE @ 1911 mhz @ 1.0v Curve
    Sound CardMotherboard Realtec , Driver 87.46
    MonitorAsus PG279Q , 27 inch 165 HZ , 1440p G-Sync
    Storage #1Samsung 970 evo 1 TB m.2 nvme ssd
    Storage #2Samsung 970 evo 1 TB m.2 nvme ssd
    CPU CoolerGamermaxx L360 v2
    CaseThermaltake View 71 full Glass
    Power SupplyThermaltake Grand 750w RGB Platnuim
    Keyboard Corsair K95 Platnuim RGB
    Mouse Corsair Night Sword RGB
    Headset Razer Kraken 7.1 chroma
    Mouse Pad Asus Sheeth Large
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z-5500 THX 5.1
    OS Windows 10-1809 x64 Pro

asus x hero wifi z 370 latest bios 2103 same thing memory training = 4 restarts and a mem safe ok screen when the ram is perfectly stable and fine shut off mch full check and fast boot to on under memory timmings near the bottom

New ROGer Array

What Q-code does it display and are any of the LED's on under the q-code display?

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bass junkie xl View Post
    asus x hero wifi z 370 latest bios 2103 same thing memory training = 4 restarts and a mem safe ok screen when the ram is perfectly stable and fine shut off mch full check and fast boot to on under memory timmings near the bottom
    Memory instability. The applied settings arent passing training, so the subsequent restarts are the system attempting to do so. With XMP 1 applied, try using Maximus Tweak Mode 1. You may need to tune VCSSA depending on the CPU and memory kit. Â*

Quote Originally Posted by Mobber View Post
    Im suddenly having issues with restarting my PC about half the time. Doesn't seem to happen when booting from shut down, only restarts. I've been running the same bios settings for about a year without issue. Any ideas what's causing this?
    Hard resets can be a sign of memory instability, test your applied settings with a memory stress test such as HCI Mem test pro or Karhu ram test.

You may also wish to check your event log to see if the system is logging stop codes, and test the system with a different power supply if possible.

ROG Member Array

So I seemed to have fixed it. I had already done substantial memory stability test before but thanks for the suggestions. It seems my bios had somehow gotten corrupted or something weird with it. I went into bios and loaded optimized defaults. Then I loaded windows and downloaded the latest bios (which is what I was running before) and put it on a freshly formatted USB. I then loaded bios and flashed the bios. I reentered all my overclock settings and it's been running flawlessly ever since. I've done multiple restarts and cold boots with no resets. I'm wondering if something happened when I originally flashed this bios and it didn't quite flash properly or something. Very odd but seems to be working good now so happy about that.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobber View Post
    So I seemed to have fixed it. I had already done substantial memory stability test before but thanks for the suggestions. It seems my bios had somehow gotten corrupted or something weird with it. I went into bios and loaded optimized defaults. Then I loaded windows and downloaded the latest bios (which is what I was running before) and put it on a freshly formatted USB. I then loaded bios and flashed the bios. I reentered all my overclock settings and it's been running flawlessly ever since. I've done multiple restarts and cold boots with no resets. I'm wondering if something happened when I originally flashed this bios and it didn't quite flash properly or something. Very odd but seems to be working good now so happy about that.
    Still sounds like memory instability. Subsequent clear of the UEFI / flash probably cleared whatever was stuck in NVRAM.

ROG Member Array

How do I test for memory instability more? I've ran memtest hci for 1000% with no errors. Ive ran prime and occt without crashes and I'm not getting crashes when I use the computer. No resets since I flashed new bios. I'm running the xmp profile on the ram 32gb@4000mhz with io 1.25 sa1.25