cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G701VI BIOS issue - no boot

spegelius
Level 7
Hello fellow Asus users, I have a problem, maybe you could help me.
So I've had my G701VI running mostly fine for a couple of years (apart from not being able to install Linux due to BIOS settings). BIOS version 304 has been working fine.
Until last saturday; as a semi-monthly update session, I allowed my home computers to access Windows update servers and things led me to install Windows 10 Feature update 1903 on my laptop. To my great surprise, BIOS version 307 was also flashed to the laptop, never before have I seen BIOS update being done by M$. Well ok, not a big problem, saves me the hassle, right?

NO!

Now my laptop won't boot. After pressing power button, the leds blink few times, screen stays blank and nothing happens. Pressing Esc or Enter makes HDD led blink, but after third key press even that stops.
Things I've tried:

• wait forever (almost). Nothing happens after few hours of waiting
  • press power button 10+seconds. This boots the laptop bit differently, all leds go dark and it boots right after letting go of the power button. But still no BIOS screen or anything
  • used Ctrl + Home method to re-flash the BIOS from USB stick. Tried both 304 and 307 versions, no change.
  • Also tried to input the BIOS rescue codes as I'm thinking that maybe the BIOS is for some reason wanting the password, but no go...
  • Sent email to Asus support and their recommendation was to re-install Windows... yeah well the machine needs to boot past BIOS for that to be possible, amirite?

If I can't get this working quite soon, I'll need to start looking for another laptop. Probably not Asus, last two machines have had some d*ck design limitations that should not be there.
6 REPLIES 6

jlfrisee
Level 7
I have exactly the same issue.
My laptop is the GI703vi. The only way I succeed to make it start is removing all the SSD & M2 drives.
Reading many messages on this forum, it looks like it could be linked to an automatic Windows10 bios update that's not compatible ..
That's where I am. I have downgraded from 3.10 to 3.7 and I will try to reinstall the hard drives and check if it helps.
Strangely also, the computer wasn't starting when plugged to the power supply but started sometimes on battery.

jlfrisee wrote:
I have exactly the same issue.
My laptop is the GI703vi. The only way I succeed to make it start is removing all the SSD & M2 drives.
Reading many messages on this forum, it looks like it could be linked to an automatic Windows10 bios update that's not compatible ..
That's where I am. I have downgraded from 3.10 to 3.7 and I will try to reinstall the hard drives and check if it helps.
Strangely also, the computer wasn't starting when plugged to the power supply but started sometimes on battery.

Hmm intereesting. Never thought that the hd could affect BIOS start, but since it's UEFI... sadly removing the disk from this laptop means removing the whole mb and not keen on taking thing apart that much...

jdfrench3 wrote:

Been a while (June/July) since I heard of this problem. Yep, MS did actually get involved in installing a BIOS update. The problem was, users were not expecting it.

Your BIOS process was interrupted and now it is hosed. I suggest you generate a RMA and return the laptop to ASUS so that the BIOS can be reinstalled.

You could work with a BIOS chip replication service to install a new BIOS chip or they provide a BIOS chip for your installation. Either way its' a hassle. I would work with ASUS for the repair.

Good Luck

Actually I saw the BIOS update process when it happened and it went all the way through, verification 100% and all. Also the BIOS recovery flash with Ctrl+Home passes fine so it at least seems to be good. Then again, I wonder what actually happens under the hood so it might very well be borked somehow.

I did some more testing and there's some life; pressing F10 and Enter causes a reboot. Also randomly pressing keys causes the hdd led to blink in some cases. The only problem is that there's no display output so it's hard to know what is happening. If I remember correctly, F10 is quick key for some BIOS menu function like save & restart so maybe it's in BIOS menu for some reason...
Also found some new AMIBIOS hotkeys to try: Ctrl+PageUp and Ctrl+PageDown. The former should do BIOS recovery, clear CMOS and NVRAM.
https://www.ami.com/ami_downloads/AMIBIOS8_Keystrokes.pdf

jdfrench3
Level 12
Been a while (June/July) since I heard of this problem. Yep, MS did actually get involved in installing a BIOS update. The problem was, users were not expecting it.

Your BIOS process was interrupted and now it is hosed. I suggest you generate a RMA and return the laptop to ASUS so that the BIOS can be reinstalled.

You could work with a BIOS chip replication service to install a new BIOS chip or they provide a BIOS chip for your installation. Either way its' a hassle. I would work with ASUS for the repair.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

spegelius
Level 7
Well I got it fixed, somehow. After trying all kinds of key combinations from internet, I stumbled upon a page about AMIBIOS hidden features. The key combos to try were Alt+F1, Ctrl+F1 and Shift+F1. So during yet another boot, I hit few function keys just for kicks (F1,F2 at least) and then tried those new combinations. And suddenly the Asus logo appeared and it started to boot to Windows. Mind blown... it failed, though due to INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE which is actually expected since the Windows installation was done in AHCI mode instead of RAID mode. And the new 307 BIOS doesn't allow changing the mode due to ASUS being a d*ck about it. So I modded the 307 bios, flashed with AFUDOS and now almost everything seems to work fine. Almost everything, a monitor connected to DisplayPort doesn't react in any way... have figure that out today.

Interesting bit about the 307 BIOS: the one downloaded from ASUS website is 2kb bigger that the one Windows flashed during the update (actually it did it again when I tried to boot Windows with 304 BIOS). Had to extract that with AFUDOS because AFUDOS refused to flash the downloaded 307.

Also I'm not sure I like how invasive Windows is getting, force flashing BIOS doesn't seem a good idea. Especially when it results in situation where it borks stuff, like this situation where screen was blank even though the machine seems to accept key presses. I'm kinda wondering if the blanking is deliberate somehow, i.e. after BIOS update blank the screen for next reboot for 'better user experience' or some other nonsense... could be a simple bug of course.

When dealing with the BIOS, best you use the EZ Flash app found within the BIOS itself. Use of WinFlash (which is what was used with the MS download) has problems, as you have found.

Lucky you got back into your BIOS and repaired your boot instruction set.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

Hi, I just built a pc using the rog Strix z390-e gaming motherboard. Was working fine for a week and then started to blue screen. Checked drivers nd they were all up to date. Checked the bios and it was on version 1005 so I downloaded the latest from the Asus site which was 1302 and now it keeps booting back to the bios saying since I setup raid or optane which I didn’t do either there is an unknown issue. Do you have any clue on this?

Thanks*