cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G53, G74 and Kingdom of Amalur.

WaruTaru
Level 7
Hello,

I'm about to get a new laptop, hopefully with some decent gaming graphics card in it. I'm eyeing the ASUS G Series since they have decent graphics card. The game I'm trying to run is Kingdom of Amalur. I've used the "Can I Run It Tool" on Game-Debate.com and came up with some confusing results, so I'm hoping to get some answers here.

For all purposes, the setup for my laptop is as follow:

PROCESSOR: i7-2670QM 2.2GHz (Turbo Boost 3.1GHz)
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333MHz
HARDDRIVE: 1 TB
SCREEN: Undecided, between 15in and 17in. (though I do hope to stay within the 15in range for portability)
Undecided resolution, options are 1366x768[16:9 HD], 1366x768[120Hz 3D-HD], 1920x1080[Full HD]

My Question is the Graphics Card.
I used the provided tool on this website to check 3 different graphics card that is within my price range.
The three graphics card are as follow:

1) nVidia GeForce GTX 560M (I've heard that this card is gimped and is worse than the 480M, more on this below)
2) nVidia GeForce GTX 480M
3) AMD Radeon 7690M (I know this card isn't available on the G Series, but I checked it just for comparison, results below)

The tool rated the 7690M as better than the other 2 nVidia cards. The 560M was rated as 3% lower than the recommended requirements of GeForce GTX 260 / Radeon HD 4850. On the other hand, the 7690M was rated as 14% better at 1920x1080 resolution and 41% better at 800x600 (though I don't know if it is comparing itself to the game's requirement or the specs I registered on my profile. My registered profile carries the 560M card).

The thing is I've been searching for benchmarks and tests and reviews and everything inbetween for all three cards and it seems like the only advantage the 7690M had over the other two was its pixel/vertex shaders. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

My questions are:
1) Is the tool pulling my leg, or am I missing something here?
2a) Is the GTX 560M card still gimped in the 15in version?
2b) How much actual difference is there between the gimped and ungimped version (I can't seems to find any reliable info on the gimped card because all the websites I've visited doesn't seems to mention it)?
2c) For all owners of the G series who is playing Kingdom of Amalurs, can you post some results/differences between the gimped and ungimped cards (especially playing on maxed out settings)?
3) How much difference is there between the three screen resolutions and how does it affect the graphic cards?

Thanks for your time!
2 REPLIES 2

Britton
Level 7
Without going into much detail I would hardly say that the 560M is gimped.

Here are my specs:

ASUS G74SX-DH73-3D 17.3-Inch 3D Gaming Laptop

Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor
16 GB DDR3 RAM
1.5 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
17.3-Inch Screen, Nvidia GTX 560M 3GB GDDR5 Graphics
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I don't know if it relates to Kingdom of Amalur but I play SWTOR, BF3, and MW3 exclusively on this machine and I have everything maxed out on each game. I know it sounds strange but it seems that SWTOR is the most inconstant as far as fps goes but I believe that has more to do with the game engine that Bioware used and server side issues than the client side. That said I get fps over 100 in most areas with the exception of heavily populated areas in the game and huge pvp matches and even then the fps never drops below 40. Being that Kingdom of Amalur is a single player game I wouldn't think you would have any problem at all running the game.

I hope this helps in your decision.

Cheers!
ASUS G74SX-DH73-3D 17.3-Inch 3D Gaming Laptop

Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor
16 GB DDR3 RAM
1.5 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
17.3-Inch Screen, Nvidia GTX 560M 3GB GDDR5 Graphics
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Hello WaruTaru, check this video out. Its Kingdom of Amalur on a G74sx all maxed out. Hope it help you out a bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_cHC19Qmr0

EDIT: i downloaded the demo thru steam, and so far in the starting area i get 40-42 fps everything maxed out. it went at times to 37 fps but it is very smooth. Hope i helped in a way. Good Luck!
Asus G74SX-TS71
Core i7 2670
nVidia GTX 560M 3GB VRAM
16gb Ram
500GB HDD