cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATX Power Cable Question

memetic
Level 7
Can I use an 8 pin to 6 pin cable to power a device from the PSU's VGA power? The Rampage V 10 Edition comes with this audio device that requires 6 pin, PSU power.
The PSU has a few 6 pin, "PERIF" connections available, but I don't have any 6 pin to 6 pin cables. I need to use one of the 8 pin, "VGA" powers with a 8 pin to 6 pin cable to the audio device. I just don't know if the voltage is appropriate. Is the "VGA" voltage the same as the "PERIF" voltage?

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

Re
Level 10
memetic wrote:
Can I use an 8 pin to 6 pin cable to power a device from the PSU's VGA power? The Rampage V 10 Edition comes with this audio device that requires 6 pin, PSU power.
The PSU has a few 6 pin, "PERIF" connections available, but I don't have any 6 pin to 6 pin cables. I need to use one of the 8 pin, "VGA" powers with a 8 pin to 6 pin cable to the audio device. I just don't know if the voltage is appropriate. Is the "VGA" voltage the same as the "PERIF" voltage?

Thanks!

well i would never do this u need a original 6 pin cable from ur psu. last time i mixed cables i destroyed my hole system :(. or ask the support

memetic
Level 7
It is really just the voltages supplied by the PSU. I don't have a multi-meter to test the VGA and PERIF voltages. Also, I cannot find the specs on the voltages anywhere. I need the data sheets, but I don't think there are any.

So, if anyone knows the voltages of the VGA and PERIF, please let me know.

Thank you!

RedSector73
Level 12
memetic wrote:

Care to show us a picture of this because I can't find what you think is a audio device that requires PSU power on your board. I think you maybe confused, I know I am reading your post.

RedSector73 wrote:
Care to show us a picture of this because I can't find what you think is a audio device that requires PSU power on your board. I think you maybe confused, I know I am reading your post.

It is this separate component that came with the motherboard. Since researching this about the power cable, I've read a lot of reviews saying it was a piece of junk. I will give it a try anyway, but I'm not expecting much. Scroll down a little bit on this page and you will see pics of it and description about it:

https://www.kitguru.net/components/motherboard/luke-hill/asus-rampage-v-edition-10-x99-motherboard-r...

All I see is the remote fan header, is that what your talking about ?

(right side)
https://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/bundle-1.jpg

ok, well that's interesting piece of equipment.

Are you sure you don’t have a spare PCI-E Power cable? My 650w only (Corsair RM650i) came with 4 ends (2 cables), but all of them could be either 8 or 6 Pin. The last 2 bits just clip off. Looks a bit daft though with them hanging out there.*

I don’t know the Amp specs required by peripheral devices vs. PCI-E. I would be concerned that even if the voltage was correct is the current flow enough to fry that cable. Is the maximum current draw of that device written somewhere?*