cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RGB DDR4 memory for Maximus IX Hero Z270 motherboard Question

fliersrr
Level 8
How can I tell if RGB RAM DDR4 will work with my motherboard? The QVL is so old. (Feb 2017) Is there a way to tell? What makes RAM compatible?
3 REPLIES 3

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
fliersrr wrote:
How can I tell if RGB RAM DDR4 will work with my motherboard? The QVL is so old. (Feb 2017) Is there a way to tell? What makes RAM compatible?

Hello, the QVL is old as the motherboard is fairly old, too. Please check the memory vendor QVL for compatibility. Or choose a kit at or below 3600Mhz to ensure the best chance of plug and play compatibility at XMP.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Google “G-Skill RAM Configurator” and check for F4-4000C18Q-32GTZSW (not compatible).

The ASUS QVL for the IX Extreme list G-Skill F4-360017CQ-16GVK as compatible, where as G-Skill QVL list does not list the IX Extreme compatible with F4-360017CQ-16GVK.

So, on a cold boot first number Q-Code 15 (count: one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand), Q-Code CC or Q-Code 49, always follows.

And on a cold boot first number Q-Code 25 and stops on Q-Code 32 (count: one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand), Q-Code 55 follows. Or if it stops on Q-code 32 for a count of one thousand, two one thousand the computer boots fine.

No problems with G-Skill F4-360017CQ-16GVK on VIII Gene or VIII Extreme Assembly. Works fine on VIII Formula if using BIOS 2202 or lower. Hit or miss for any BIOS above 2202.

fliersrr
Level 8
Thank you both for your replies. I have reached out to ASUS for help as I wanted to update my memory that I have been using for a few years now to RGB. ASUS submitted to engineering dept to update the QVL but that may take a few months. He did also say to see if the RAM manufacturer offers a QVL. (like you said)
As much as I want the Corsair Dominator RGB memory, I may not be able to get it as I can not find any answers on their products. G.Skill has their own QVL and have a lot of choices for RGB RAM for my motherboard. I reached out to Corsair for help and was told to go to ASUS for help. ? On Corsair this is the second time I have reach out to Corsair for help over the years, and both time received non-helpful help. ASUS on the other hand actually phone called me from California. Then two follow up emails. I do like the Corsair products and have a lot of them, but have to say support is like contacting kids.
On another note in researching RAM people have also said you can use any DDR4 as long as you are willing to do the work to set the timings up yourself. They did explain you need matching RAM etc. which I already knew. The "SPD" profiles in the RAM chip may not work and you have to set the timings up yourself.
I really want that Corsair Dominator RGB RAM, but just not sure what to do.
Thanks again for your replies.