cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max APEX X Memory Issue

Johan45
Level 7
Today my board failed to POST. It would stop at Q-code "AC" rinse and repeat eventually starting in safe mode. It appears that any time I enable XMP the board goes into this loop. It will POST and boot to windows using JEDEC. I have tried different RAM modules and different CPUs as well as both BIOS on the board and reflashing the one I was using VIA USB flashback and still, I'm getting the same behaviour. I'm starting to think the board is the issue here. Does anyone have any suggestions or insight?
TIA
6 REPLIES 6

cniedzi
Level 8
Johan45 wrote:
Today my board failed to POST. It would stop at Q-code "AC" rinse and repeat eventually starting in safe mode. It appears that any time I enable XMP the board goes into this loop. It will POST and boot to windows using JEDEC. I have tried different RAM modules and different CPUs as well as both BIOS on the board and reflashing the one I was using VIA USB flashback and still, I'm getting the same behaviour. I'm starting to think the board is the issue here. Does anyone have any suggestions or insight?
TIA

spec?

Johan45
Level 7
It's and APEX X
tried two different Samsung based 2x8 ram kits
Tried 8700k and 9900k
Have tried updating both BIOS with newer and older ME FW BIOS versions
one stick in each slot etc..
The only difference is on older ME FW the Q-code stops at 49 then goes to 01 and reboots after enabling XMP

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Have you got a different PSU to test...and have you disconnected everything to bare bones for troubleshooting...

The steps you list do point to the MB so far

Johan45
Level 7
It pretty much is bare bones. I was benching SuperPi on XP and tuning the RAM. Switched from 4000 to 4133 and it's been this way since.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Maybe disconnect all power from the board...battery too...then reseat CPU...clean RAM slots etc.

Nice to hear someone benching Spi

Johan45
Level 7
Yeah, I'm going to pick up some contact cleaner today in a last-ditch effort before RMA.