cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram

memetic
Level 7
I am just having ALL kinds of problems with this build. It is the Edition 10 board. Now, it is not recognizing one of the RAM sticks. I've done all the RAM procedures to try to get it working -- at best, I get it to boot with 24GB recognized and working (of the 32GB); at worst, it won't boot at all. I cannot narrow it down to any single stick of RAM, or slot, for some reason.

Anyway, I decided to buy new RAM. What I have now is RipJaws 4 @ 2133 (3-4 years old). Not sure if I should move up to 3200 (I think that is the max for this chipset?). I don't know if that will make much of a difference other than double/triple the price. I am running Revodrive PCIe SSDs and the machine is pretty fast as it is.

What do you guys have good luck with for RAM? Assuming you select the right type of RAM, it really seems to be luck these days getting things to work.

What I think is to stick with the 4 sticks at 8GB each. Other than that, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

memetic
Level 7
I am looking at:

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR
($197.00)

or

A NEW SET of 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 2133MHz PC4-17000 CL15 Quad Channel kit (4x8GB) Red
($183.00)

Anyone had experience with comparison, or know the day-to-day performance difference (if any)? My experience with the Ripjaws 4 was problematic from the start. First installed on a Rampage V, didn't recognize 1-2 sticks at first. Finally got them all working and was fine for 3-4 years. Then installed them on the Edition 10 board with one stick not working again. But, this time, I can't get the computer to boot most of the time. The other board always booted, just didn't recognize one stick until I rearranged the sticks several dozen times.

Thanks

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Same CPU on those boards?

Have you tried a bit more voltage for dram and vccsa...what is the board applying at stock and at xmp?

The kit in my specs worked great on that board and with my current AMD system

3200 is a sweet spot if you can get it to run

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Same CPU on those boards?

Have you tried a bit more voltage for dram and vccsa...what is the board applying at stock and at xmp?

The kit in my specs worked great on that board and with my current AMD system

3200 is a sweet spot if you can get it to run

Yes, same CPU; same everything, actually. I just switched out motherboards. I have not tried adjusting anything yet.

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
Do not waste time or money on crappy 3200C16

Only 3200C14 use this app for more options on b-die frequencies and brands
Team group has nice ram too stick with tight tested latency like 14-14-14-34 for C14

Not those sloppy loose timings you posted about 16-18-18-38 for C16 that is pure garbage you'd be lucky if your machine posts at all.

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,
Do not waste time or money on crappy 3200C16

Only 3200C14 use this app for more options on b-die frequencies and brands
Team group has nice ram too stick with tight tested latency like 14-14-14-34 for C14

Not those sloppy loose timings you posted about 16-18-18-38 for C16 that is pure garbage you'd be lucky if your machine posts at all.

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

OMG, DRI. That's a band I haven't seen their name for a long time. I saw them play in Detroit a long, long time ago.

Thanks for the link to that app.

The problem for me is I moved to Brazil; finding things, ordering things, shipping things, is pretty difficult (plus, I could get charged 50% tax if they flag my package). I tried looking for this 4x8GB 3200C14 RAM and can't find any. I found some 2x16GB sticks, but they are way overpriced and with a 50% tax, way too expensive -- like $600 for two 16GB sticks. See what I mean?

When I looked up this B-die (C14) thing, I read that it is more important for Ryzen processors. My knowledge of this is limited, so I am going to have to do a lot more research.

The TridentZ ships to me from Amazon complete for $190 with a lifetime warranty. If I get hit with the tax, it will be about $200 total. What I know now, is that with these RipJaw 4 sticks I have now, I was running all my 3D modelling apps, video editing apps, browsers, 3D rendering and animation apps, everything, all without a hitch. I could run all the apps at the same time and my machine just crushed it. I was even able to run multiple VMs with all their apps and remote computers at the same time. Is the triple/quadruple+ price for this B-die, C14 RAM really worth it? What sold you on this RAM? I am open to change.

Thanks!

memetic
Level 7
Well, it turns out the RAM is fine. It is the D1 slot that is broken. No matter which way I rearrange the RAM, the D1 slot never detects any of the RAM sticks. Has anyone ever been successful reviving a dead slot? Otherwise, I have to ship it back to the Amazon USA from Brazil - which will really suck.

Thanks.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You said you swapped MB right...same problem persists?

That makes me think CPU memory controller might be a problem or CPU socket contact is bad...

I'm not sure what's going on any more. Yes, I did swap MBs. But, with this Edition 10 board, I finally got everything working properly -- EXCEPT, the D1 RAM slot is dead. I got all 4 RAM sticks running, but in slots A1, A2, C1, C2.

This does make me want to revisit the older, RVE board though. I never tried to run the RAM in those slots - I only ran in the recommended slots. It is the only thing I did not try. If the RVE board is working with the alternate slots, I can actually sell it in Brazil for a pretty hefty price.

Thanks.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah...you have to be methodical to eliminate possibilities...

Try the other board...if behaviour is the same it's more likely tje CPU...

When you set up in recommended slots...are you applying XMP? I.e. recommended voltage etc

Make sure DRAM voltage is 1.35 or even a bit more for testing 1.36...1.375...

Try VCCSA at 1.1v...1.15 even 1.2