cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Rampage VII extreme omega too much for my needs?

dbpavey
Level 8
I have an older rig (7 years old) but I have a 2080ti in it. Its time to upgrade.

Im definitely going with intel 9900KS, but trying to figure out which mobo to go with. I love asus and I have had my Rampage IV extreme work flawlessly through out the years. The Rampage Vii is $700 so my question is, is it overkill for me?. Is it worth it to me if I just do basic overclocking and not much more than that? I wont liquid cool anything but a closed loop CPU cooler. Thanks for the advice!

I will have high speed ram and the ASUS pg35vq to push.
8 REPLIES 8

nikkotuason
Level 7
You're going to have trouble running that CPU on that MOBO. I recommend Apex XI (only 2 DIMM) or Z390 Aorus Master.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
9900KS is lga 1551...the omega is lga2066

Make sure you select parts that go together....check QVL of MB you choose for RAM etc.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
9900KS is lga 1551...the omega is lga2066

Make sure you select parts that go together....check QVL of MB you choose for RAM etc.

What mobo would be the most ideal, price aside, for that processor? I wont liquid cool anything but the CPU with a closed loop.

dbpavey
Level 8
Thanks!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I would go for the Maximus XI Extreme as the premium build option for the 9900KS....top of the line...as you are used to that level of features...quality etc.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I would go for the Maximus XI Extreme as the premium build option for the 9900KS....top of the line...as you are used to that level of features...quality etc.

Thank you so much for the quick response! Last question I have for you is what RAM do you think works the best? Again, price isnt an issue. I just want this thing to last me 5-7 years last my last asus rig did (I updgrade GPU every year, but dont want to mess with mobo, cpu, RAM that often.)

Thanks for all the recommendations!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'd check the GSkill RAM configirator for the MB

https://www.gskill.com/configurator?page=1&cls=1529635169&manufacturer=1524725352&chipset=1539225224...,

But you can check full range tested with the board.

The higher frequencies...like 4000 will be harder to run...maybe not plug and play

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'd check the GSkill RAM configirator for the MB

https://www.gskill.com/configurator?page=1&cls=1529635169&manufacturer=1524725352&chipset=1539225224...,

But you can check full range tested with the board.

The higher frequencies...like 4000 will ne harder to run...mayne not plug and play