cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Core i9 9900KS

AMDGuru
Level 7
I just purchased the parts I need for a new build. I'm running a 9900KS and a Z390 Maximus XI Formula. This is my first ever ASUS motherboard, so I'm not familiar with the BIOS. I still need to build the system, but was hoping people here could help me with the overclocking and power settings. My questions relate to the PL2, TAU, VCCIO and Vcore settings. Also, the AVX offset. Anyone who could help me with the BIOS settings related to these settings, that would be greatly appreciated. Before I install the OS, I just want to make sure the BIOS settings are correct.

I'm not sure how the 9900KS will be different from the 9900k, but I'm sure there are very experienced overclockers here that can help me. I'm new to overclocking and want to learn.

I will play Ghost Recon: Wildlands, and want to know how to turn off six of the cores and overclock the other two. I'm hoping to achieve 5.2 GHz on those two cores. I'm using the ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 AIO cooler and Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for cooling. Again, any help will be so appreciated. Thanks

#ROGbuilds
6 REPLIES 6

BigJohnny
Level 13
You dont need to turn off the cores, On the main page you have the option to over clock bby the core and just leave the remaining cores at base speed. Your enemies in acheiving higher clocks are always the same. Silicon lottery and heat.
What are you using for cooling?
For AVX start with 3 and AVX 512 at 5. You can lower those later but they wont make a difference unless you are using one of those work loads.
Vcore is all trial and error and again highly dependent on cooling. Dont think you would want to go past 1.3V under any circumstance unless you have a good chiller or LN2 or equally crazy. To my knowledge the Ks is just a better binned k with higher stock clocks. they even say getting to 5.0 is dependent on cooling and not guaranteed but hey, My 9840 wasnt supposed to make 5.0 either but Im running an overkill loop with ample heat removal.

Falkentyne
Level 12
You don't need to disable cores. People only do this for things like Super Pi and other world records usually. Disabling cores won't help you at all.
What you want to do is disable hyper-threading. This is what helps more than anything else.

The 9900KS should be able to do 5.2 ghz at a very reasonable voltage (1.35v set in BIOS, fixed, with Level 5 loadline calibration (my recommendation). Level 5 LLC has better transient response than level 6 LLC, which can actually make you stable at a slightly "lower" true load voltage. I say you aim for that, since I think the average 9900KS should be able to game stable (even if it's not prime95 stable) at 5.2 ghz, 1.35v bios set, with Level 5 loadline calibration.

If you have stability issues, instead of trying level 6 Loadline calibration (LLC), try disabling hyperthreading. This will have a 100% chance of getting you stable in ghost recon at 5.2 ghz, 1.350v LLC5. You may even be able to do 5.3 ghz at this setting (might require a little luck).

edrickjk
Level 7
Anything under 1.4v is safe,but will generate heat.Considering your cpu is binned you should technically be able to do bellow 1.3v. Start with stock setting run bench like prime95, several run of cinebench ect to make a base line. If your temperature are ok and everything seems stable go ahead wit your oc

Then i would fo 5 all core, avx 0, sviid{typical},load line calibration to 5 or 6,multi core enhancement off, set your vcore to 1.3v. Lower the voltage in .5 increment until it start to get unstable ,back up a notch then.

When everything is stable then start to work on the ,vccio ,cpu cache ratio ect.At this point usually i like to start working on the ram.

When everything work fine i would start to aim for 5.2 .

Dont install ai suite, you can control your fan setting directly in the bios,for monitoring hwinfo64 will work like a charm.

Just as a suggestion this vrm can be water cooled,i would consider custom loop or modifying your aio to include it down the road.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm still waiting on my cables from CableMod, but then I can build this badboy. This info will help me a lot I'm sure. Thanks!!!!!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
5.1 at 1.35 is pretty typical...good cooling and a bit of luck will get 5.2...maybe up to 1.38v...

Lottery win will get 5.3

The thermals are better than K...

Turn off hyperthreading if you dont need it...pretty much guaranteed 5.2 all core OC

criskoe
Level 7
AMDGuru wrote:
I just purchased the parts I need for a new build. I'm running a 9900KS and a Z390 Maximus XI Formula. This is my first ever ASUS motherboard, so I'm not familiar with the BIOS. I still need to build the system, but was hoping people here could help me with the overclocking and power settings. My questions relate to the PL2, TAU, VCCIO and Vcore settings. Also, the AVX offset. Anyone who could help me with the BIOS settings related to these settings, that would be greatly appreciated. Before I install the OS, I just want to make sure the BIOS settings are correct.

I'm not sure how the 9900KS will be different from the 9900k, but I'm sure there are very experienced overclockers here that can help me. I'm new to overclocking and want to learn.

I will play Ghost Recon: Wildlands, and want to know how to turn off six of the cores and overclock the other two. I'm hoping to achieve 5.2 GHz on those two cores. I'm using the ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 AIO cooler and Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for cooling. Again, any help will be so appreciated. Thanks

#ROGbuilds

What I wanna know is what’s the car head unit for??..*