cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scar II GL704GW repaste/repad (overclocking/undervolting/temperatures)

sonzter
Level 7
# DISCLAIMER!! USING LIQUID METAL CAN PERMANENTLY DAMAGE OR DESTROY YOUR LAPTOP! USE AT OWN RISK!

Hi Guys :D,

I repasted my ROG Scar II (GL704GW) with Grizzly Conductonaut (Liquid Metal) on CPU/GPU and repadded the VRM's with Gelid Thermal Pads.

I first repasted with Grizzly Kryonaut but the CPU was still reaching 95/96C degrees celcius after a long gaming sessions. Undervolting with -90mV wasn't enough to get the temps to drop below 90~92C degrees celcius.

I'm also going to see if I can squeeze a little bit extra performance out of the RTX 2070. Not because it's needed, but because it's possible. I'm very interested in the results others have achieved. 🙂

--
Specs:

- i7-8750H
- 32GB (2x 16) DDR4-2666 Kingston HyperX dual channel (HX426S15IB2/16)
- 250GB SSD (stock)
- 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD
- RTX 2070
- BIOS 308
--

Update

Before repaste and repad. For thermal pad thickness, check the image below I created for you based on my own findings and testing.

* I forgot to take the 'after' picture but there are plenty of video's and instructions online about how to apply liquid metal. The thermal pads can easily be cut into the right size. Just take your time and don't use to much liquid metal! Protip: Use electrical tape to protect parts surrounding your CPU/GPU! I did! 😉
10 REPLIES 10

gieffe22
Level 7
the starnge thing is that kryounat doesnt improve your temperatures... i have a 704gw too but with stock paste and i have your temps, in theory with kryo you should stay under 92° for cpu and 84-82 for gpu...

First result with Liquid Metal (Grizzly Conductonaut) and Gelid Extreme Thermal Pads. No undervolting yet and awesome results! Reached a maximum of 81 degrees celcius after multiple tests on Cinebench. 😄

* I thought I f***ed up at first. I was trying to run Cinebench and my CPU wasn't running on max speed. After opening up my laptop two more times I realized that the power adapter wasn't plugged 😛

--
Update

Undervolted with -90mV and limited turbo boost to 36 (3.6GHz) on all cores. Managed to keep temperatures around 70 degrees celcius! This was just a first attempt so not even optimized. Fan noise while gaming is also reduced!

sonzter wrote:
First result with Liquid Metal (Grizzly Conductonaut) and Gelid Extreme Thermal Pads. No undervolting yet and awesome results! Reached a maximum of 81 degrees celcius after multiple tests on Cinebench. 😄

* I thought I f***ed up at first. I was trying to run Cinebench and my CPU wasn't running on max speed. After opening up my laptop two more times I realized that the power adapter wasn't plugged 😛

--
**Update**

Undervolted with -90mV and limited turbo boost to 36 (3.6GHz) on all cores. Managed to keep temperatures around 70 degrees celcius! This was just a first attempt so not even optimized. Fan noise while gaming is also reduced!

I've have had same kinda results with GL703GM, it seems that liquid metal is a MUST for these laptops.

also disable hyperthreading with processlasso while gaming since 6 cores is enough, that will also bring down temps a bit 🙂

gieffe22
Level 7
hoonestly i'm against liquid metal on a laptop because there's too much danger of liquid going out of die, burning everything down. On a desktop pc LM can have sense because a desktop is static... but on a lap, without a hw barrier to the external of the die i don't love this solution.

Honestly i think is better to have a good non conductive paste such as kryo or mastergel, having 90° without throttling, instead of 80° with liquid. Liquid metal is a GREAT solution, probably will do the trick on future laptops with innovative solutions, but is just too risky with heatpipe corrosion, or spooling liquid out.

The great thing is that on mu 704gw with stock paste, undervolted gpu, undervolted cpu (80mv) and locked at about 2.8 or 3ghz i'm able to stay at about 80°...so using a kryo i should gain at least 3 to 6 degrees's puttning the laptop on low 75°... so there are other solution less dangerous but great too instead of liquid.

Anyway nice results.

gieffe22 wrote:
hoonestly i'm against liquid metal on a laptop because there's too much danger of liquid going out of die, burning everything down. On a desktop pc LM can have sense because a desktop is static... but on a lap, without a hw barrier to the external of the die i don't love this solution.

Very true. I'm encouraging everyone to take a very good look at the risks before making a decision. I will edit the main post to make that more clear. I just want to share my results and if someone is not skilled it's better for them to stick to regular thermal compound. Thanks!

VeNoMxCoBrA
Level 7
sonzter wrote:
# DISCLAIMER!! USING LIQUID METAL CAN PERMANENTLY DAMAGE OR DESTROY YOUR LAPTOP! USE AT OWN RISK!

Hi Guys :D,

I repasted my ROG Scar II (GL704GW) with Grizzly Conductonaut (Liquid Metal) on CPU/GPU and repadded the VRM's with Gelid Thermal Pads.

I first repasted with Grizzly Kryonaut but the CPU was still reaching 95/96C degrees celcius after a long gaming sessions. Undervolting with -90mV wasn't enough to get the temps to drop below 90~92C degrees celcius.

I'm also going to see if I can squeeze a little bit extra performance out of the RTX 2070. Not because it's needed, but because it's possible. I'm very interested in the results others have achieved. 🙂

--
Specs:

- i7-8750H
- 32GB (2x 16) DDR4-2666 Kingston HyperX dual channel (HX426S15IB2/16)
- 250GB SSD (stock)
- 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD
- RTX 2070
- BIOS 308
--

Update

Before repaste and repad. For thermal pad thickness, check the image below I created for you based on my own findings and testing.

* I forgot to take the 'after' picture but there are plenty of video's and instructions online about how to apply liquid metal. The thermal pads can easily but cut into the right size. Just take your time and don't use to much liquid metal! Protip: Use electrical tape to protect parts surrounding your CPU/GPU! I did! 😉

i've repasted my gl504gw as well with kryonaut. it did works well for me i got maximum 89 degrees celcius when doing a stress test at AIDA64 Extreme also with an undervolt of -0.080v on Core and Cache, but what i am not satisfied with is the GPU temps is actually hotter than other laptop like HP Omen, MSI GE75 and they can maintain a high clock speed of 1400Mhz and above with around 75 degrees celcius , when compared to mine, it stays at 1215Mhz all the time because it will throttle once the temp reach 75 degrees celcius -.- thus i am getting a lower fps when compared to them. Probably because of insufficient cooling for the GPU?? Look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxih8LAwaAY&t=677s
even he repasted with kryonaut got gpu temps below 75 degrees on a RTX 2080 .. I've tried to undervolt the GPU in MSI Afterburner but it still throttle. arghh this is so frustrating.

VeNoMxCoBrA wrote:
i've repasted my gl504gw as well with kryonaut. it did works well for me i got maximum 89 degrees celcius when doing a stress test at AIDA64 Extreme also with an undervolt of -0.080v on Core and Cache, but what i am not satisfied with is the GPU temps is actually hotter than other laptop like HP Omen, MSI GE75 and they can maintain a high clock speed of 1400Mhz and above with around 75 degrees celcius , when compared to mine, it stays at 1215Mhz all the time because it will throttle once the temp reach 75 degrees celcius -.- thus i am getting a lower fps when compared to them. Probably because of insufficient cooling for the GPU?? Look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxih8LAwaAY&t=677s
even he repasted with kryonaut got gpu temps below 75 degrees on a RTX 2080 .. I've tried to undervolt the GPU in MSI Afterburner but it still throttle. arghh this is so frustrating.

Different laptops, different cooling solutions. You can't compare different models like that.

VeNoMxCoBrA wrote:

Your GPU is throttling at 75c because one of two reasons :

1- Asus GPU Tweak II is messing with your GPU, try starting it and resetting everything to defaults even if you didn't change anything.
2- You're using the "Silent" fan profile in the Armoury Crate app, change the profile to Turbo and see if it solves it.

Hey, @sonzter

I was wondering how your LM application turned out to perform after having about a month with it now.
Did you notice any fluctuation with performance, thermals and noise in comparison with the first day you applied it?

Thanks.