cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Encore vs Omega: Which is better?

lukeyboy89
Level 7
I have a delidded 9990XE (the auction chip) which pulls over 600W itself when all cores are at 5.1ghz.

I have a faulty Omega and it's been approved for a refund.

Im torn on whether to get another Omega or go for the Encore.

The Encore is $50 more expensive which is nothing when spending over 1k on a motherboard (Australia).

Is one board better than the other? Does one have better VRM components?

I thought the Encore was supposed to be a step down from the Omega, but it's more expensive.
16 REPLIES 16

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

The Encore is the better board, hence why it's priced above.

I have linked you to the product comparison tool.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Product-Compare/?products=l7uwfqqykxhzmxfr,eZwnQPTSRcn68Lwd&b=2
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

lukeyboy89
Level 7
Thanks for the response.

The Omega is list as having - IR3555 PoweIRstage® while the Encore does not have this listed as a feature. Would this not imply the Omega has higher quality VRM solution?

MJB09SRT8
Level 7
The Encore has Infineon TDA21472 which are better than the IR3555.

Montrose

Encore has a much better power solution. Next gen power solution and better components according to ASUS: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-Rampage-VI-Extreme-Encore/

einsindrei
Level 10
But what i missing on the Encore is a U2 Port, so in this Point i choose the Omega for me 🙂

einsindrei wrote:
But what i missing on the Encore is a U2 Port, so in this Point i choose the Omega for me 🙂

you can use an U.2 to m.2 cable to connect a U.2 drive to a M.2 port. they are electrically compatible. Just a passive cable will suffice. I have several u.2 drives connected to m.2 on the Ramapage 6 Extreme that working perfectly fine for soon 2 years. You can even buy u.2 drives with this m.2 to u.2 cable included, e.g. intel sell 900P like that that retail. So in other words, no problem. If you really are set on using u.2 to u.2 connection (not necessary but lets say you want) then you can easily buy a u.2 PICe card with 2 ports - problem solved. However, the weaker power delivery system of the omega can not be fixed that easily.
Power delivery is key to successful solid over clock with manageable temperatures. trust me on that: given my experience with my 7980XE on the original Rampage 6 Extreme I can say that you are very dependent on a robust power delivery system with very good cooling to get the max out of your core i9 cpu. I am looing forward to see what Encore can do. Maybe a 5GHz on all 18 cores is going to be the new standard OC no problem with the 10980 XE and a standard off the shelf 280mm CLC on the encore - we'll see.

einsindrei
Level 10
The Encore is nice, sure. BUt i was getting a 9980xe + Rampage Omega for 1000€, so i think this was a good Deal 🙂

einsindrei wrote:
The Encore is nice, sure. BUt i was getting a 9980xe + Rampage Omega for 1000€, so i think this was a good Deal 🙂

That was for sure a good deal for that combo. I have been using an Omega and loved the board overclocking ram and the cpu was a breeze, i now have the Encore and its a very unstable board for me right now, overclocking the cpu is easy but the ram seems to be a nightmare so far, i see several people in the forum having issues with the ram overclocking and even setting the XMP profile isn't working in most cases so far that i have seen. I even bought some 3866mhz ram thats on the QVL list for the Encore and cant it to work over 3400mhz.

vmanuelgm
Level 11
3866 kit is not a good choice for quad channel... And yeah, u say it's listed in the QVL, but still not a good choice.

The best kit for Omega in terms of OC is the 3600C16 non rgb wich also is relatively cheap.
Asus x670e Hero, 7950x, TG 7000, Master 4090, 970 PRO, 860 EVO, Intel 750,
SN850, SN750, 840 Pro, 2xSkyhawk 4TB, Pioneer S12U
EVGA T2 1600, Silverstone TJ11, Custom LC, Acer Predator x35, Philips OLED