cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GX701GWR Bios update dropped graphics card ?

reaper_gfx
Level 7
Hello

So i picked up my GX701GWR and it has been great these last few days. I stuck with Asus as my old g751 started to show its age but it was still a tank of a laptop.

For reasons unknown to my last night the bios automatically updated. I hate messing around with bios updates but for whatever reason this was done to version 406 which i can not see on the main website, Anyway fast forward to today and i am about to start messing around with some games to pass the time and the FPS is horrendous

searching around and on my device managed it is using the basic onboard graphics and my graphics card is now hidden, tried updating driver and i just get no compatible, try to open up and update via device manager and it tells me the device is not connected. I can see the card in the bios so i know it is connected. software wont let me flash the bios back to the previous version and i am starting to get annoyed with it.

Bios and EZ flash i cant seem to detect the bios and unwilling to go click happy so any suggestion most welcome.

Also when i try to update the video driver i also get windows compatibility issue ( there is only 64 bit available and dxdiag shows clearly i am running 64 bit)
2 REPLIES 2

reaper_gfx
Level 7
ok, fixed this issue, now im having issue with the sound

Roll backed the bios, removed all nvidia software and then it all worked like a treat, Now im having audio issues but this has been since the start

Disabled ROG live services to stop auto update and did system restore to an earlier point before the bios update. That solved the issue for me. I Had to reinstall the GForce experience. Updated all the GForce drivers and restarted the system. Restored bios from 306 to 305 using the restore point. This also fixed the crappy frame drop in games.

"The bios on the Asus website doesn't match with the bios which is auto updated on the system. My system model is GW701 GWR and the bios was auto updated to version 306 which is not available for my model on the Asus site. Currently running 305 which was also auto updated using the restore point (again this version is also not available for this model on the Asus website"

Don't know why the system updated to the wrong bios.