cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix B450-I Issue with Ryzen 5 3600 (and maybe RAM...?)

sheoran
Level 7
Hello there

So i have a little bit of a problem with my ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Motherboard and my Ryzen 3600 CPU.
I bought the Motherboard, knowing that i would have to update the BIOS to run Ryzen 3rd Gen. So i did that with a Ryzen 1200 and
installed BIOS-Version 2801.
The Problem is now, that the Ryzen 3600 is still not booting most(!) of the time. The weird thing is, that new CPU actually does boot
sometimes. Not very often, but if it runs, i can get into BIOS, Windows and it works. When it doesnt boot, the Q-LED's are basically just
cycling between CPU / VGA / BOOT
I have tried multiple BIOS-Versions, i did install the newest AMD-Chipset-Driver, i also removed the Battery and i tried to run it with only
one RAM-Stick. Nothing seems to fix it. Sometimes it boots, but i havent observed any pattern when it does and when it doesnt.

I have a feeling that the RAM (Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3600 MHZ) may be a problem since the Memory-Q-Led always lights up when i install and start the Ryzen 1200 but never with
the Ryzen 3600. I have also seen, that the RAM is running at 2133 under the Ryzen 3600 which seemed a bit weird.
The RAM is listed in the QVL although with a different version number (CMK16GX4M2B3600C18 ver5.32 in QVL and i have ver3.31)
I did also try to change the timings to those listed in the QVL.

Is there something i can do from the Software-Side (Memory-Profile, BIOS etc.) or do i have to buy and try new RAM or a new Motherboard?
Or any other ideas?

Part-List just for completion:
- ASUS ROG Strix B450-I Gaming
- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 & AMD Ryzen 3 1200
- Corsair Vengeance 2x8 GB 3600 MHZ
- Zotac RTX 2070 Super
- Crucial P1 M.2 1000 GB
- Silverstone 600 W SFX
5 REPLIES 5

RedSector73
Level 12
sheoran wrote:
...from the Software-Side (Memory-Profile, BIOS etc.) or do i have to buy and try new RAM or a new Motherboard?

I have a few ideas to get your system going - as is.

sheoran wrote:
I have a feeling that the RAM (Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3600 MHZ) may be a problem since the Memory-Q-Led always lights up when i install and start the Ryzen 1200 but never with
the Ryzen 3600. I have also seen, that the RAM is running at 2133 under the Ryzen 3600 which seemed a bit weird.
The RAM is listed in the QVL although with a different version number (CMK16GX4M2B3600C18 ver5.32 in QVL and i have ver3.31)

First, make sure using slots 2 & 4 from the cpu, not 1 & 3.
When go into the bios, in advanced, you need to select/use DOCP profile for 3600 not manually select ram frequency to 3600 which causes poor timings or leave default. This will allow it load the memory profile, the same Intel XMP does. If your experience is from Intel system and you selected ram frequency without using XMP the same thing would happen.

Example:-

Also be aware the latest bios with ASUS AGESA 1.0.0.4 BIOS recently released, may have DOCP issue on your board and may want to use previous version till patched. I have read that manually entering the DOCP information works, if using the latest bios.

Get Thaiphoon Burner http://softnology.biz/files.html to identify your ram manufacturer (ie samsung, hynix, micron), die type & base timings.

Hope you find this of help.

Thank you for your help.
I downgraded the bios and made sure to select DOCP.
The CPU is still stuck in a loop, trying to boot, but now it manages to get to the very first screen that shows up in a normal boot process (the one right before the ASUS-ROG-Logo). So that's some progress i guess..xD
Like before there is always the off-chance that it actually does boot.
I also tried the settings that Thaiphoon Burner showed me, since those had different RC/FAW/RRD Values.

I will probably still try the new Bios 2901 when its released for the B450-I and hope that changes something

It just feels like such a weird problem. Like...it doesnt work most of the time but sometimes it does^^

RedSector73 wrote:
I have a few ideas to get your system going - as is.
Also be aware the latest bios with ASUS AGESA 1.0.0.4 BIOS recently released, may have DOCP issue on your board and may want to use previous version till patched. I have read that manually entering the DOCP information works, if using the latest bios.

No ASUS B450 board has 1.0.0.4 yet. They don't even have the latest 1.0.0.3.

Latest BIOSes for them use the buggy 1.0.0.3 ABA.

RedSector73 wrote:

My bad, don't know what was thinking when I wrote that bit, clearly wrong. As mentioned the the most current BIOS is ASUS AGESA 1.0.0.3 for your board.

binggoman
Level 7
sheoran wrote:
Hello there

So i have a little bit of a problem with my ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Motherboard and my Ryzen 3600 CPU.
I bought the Motherboard, knowing that i would have to update the BIOS to run Ryzen 3rd Gen. So i did that with a Ryzen 1200 and
installed BIOS-Version 2801.
The Problem is now, that the Ryzen 3600 is still not booting most(!) of the time. The weird thing is, that new CPU actually does boot
sometimes. Not very often, but if it runs, i can get into BIOS, Windows and it works. When it doesnt boot, the Q-LED's are basically just
cycling between CPU / VGA / BOOT
I have tried multiple BIOS-Versions, i did install the newest AMD-Chipset-Driver, i also removed the Battery and i tried to run it with only
one RAM-Stick. Nothing seems to fix it. Sometimes it boots, but i havent observed any pattern when it does and when it doesnt.

Is there something i can do from the Software-Side (Memory-Profile, BIOS etc.) or do i have to buy and try new RAM or a new Motherboard?
Or any other ideas?

Part-List just for completion:
- ASUS ROG Strix B450-I Gaming
- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 & AMD Ryzen 3 1200
- Corsair Vengeance 2x8 GB 3600 MHZ
- Zotac RTX 2070 Super
- Crucial P1 M.2 1000 GB
- Silverstone 600 W SFX

Hi, I'd like to report that I experience the same problem with you, with BIOS version 2801, 2901, and now 3004. I have the same board and CPU, but my RAM is Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16-18-18-38. Have you found any solution to this yet?