cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Hero: CPU Temperature Swings?

ationfictons
Level 10
In absolute terms the Ryzen 7 3700X CPU temperatures on my Crosshair VIII Hero seem fine. According to HWINFO, the CPU sensors usually report temperatures around:

CPU (Tctl/Tdie) = in the 40s C
CPU CCD1 (Tdie) = in the 30s

While the motherboard sensors usually show:

CPU Package = in the 40s
CPU = in the 30s

But, those CPU temperatures swing an quite a bit. From second to second, even at idle, they'll bounce 3 to 8 degrees in either direction.

If it were an issue with my thermal paste application, I'd think I'd just be seeing generally high temperatures and maybe some thermal throttling. But, in long gaming sessions, my high temperatures are in the mid 70s and running Prime95's "Small FFTs (tests L1/L2/L3 caches, maximum power/heat/CPU stress)," those temperatures peak at about 85 degrees but usually stay in the mid to upper 70s. HWINFO isn't showing any thermal throttling. Once I'm done with any load, the temperatures quickly drop back to "normal" numbers.

Is this a problem? Is anyone else seeing those kinds of quick temperature swings?
3 REPLIES 3

RedSector73
Level 12
ationfictons wrote:
Is this a problem? Is anyone else seeing those kinds of quick temperature swings?

Normal, you might want to update to the latest bios. Version 1105 - 2019/11/05

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VIII-HERO/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the confirmation. I'm holding off a bit on the new BIOS to see if people have any horrible issues with it. So far, the only thing I've seen is that it might mess up some people's memory if it's automatically set with XMP to 3400 or above.

ationfictons wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the confirmation. I'm holding off a bit on the new BIOS to see if people have any horrible issues with it. So far, the only thing I've seen is that it might mess up some people's memory if it's automatically set with XMP to 3400 or above.

I've run the latest bios at 3200, 3600, 3800, 4133 with/without DOCP and Ryzen DRAM Calculator (there is no XMP not intel) on Samsung b-die.