ROG Junior Member Array

ASUS Maximus Extreme Viii will not boot - Code 55 but RAM OK - Sudden problem

Hello - help needed.
    I have the ASUS Maximus Extreme Viii motherboard which has work seamlessly for many years. I have made no changes to it aside from ensuring the bios is up to date. Yesterday I came downstairs to find it was switched off. Assumed a power cut or something had happened. However, it will now not boot. I cannot even get to bios. There is power and the LED codes flip and change but seem to rest on 55 which from what I gather means no memory detected. I took the memory out and it is working fine in my works computer. I’m running a full test on it now so clearly that’s not the problem. So what is? I suppose there’s only the chip left to test?

I followed all of the other advice on this forum of reseating RAM and even reseated the CPU - but since the PC has always been stationary, unchanged, and formerly working I don’t think it’s to do with incompatibilities, seating issues, new hardware etc.

Any ideas - it’s a great machine - loathed to change CPU and motherboard without really understanding if it’s a necessary thing to do.

PS sometimes the codes do rest on other numbers like 40

Cheers, Jim*

New ROGer Array RedSector73 PC Specs
    RedSector73 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI)
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
    Memory (part number)4 x G.SKILL F4-3800C14D-16GTZN 14-16-16-36
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme WaterForce (GV-N208TAORUSX W-11GC)
    Sound CardArctis DAC
    MonitorAsus ROG Swift PG348Q
    Storage #1ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB
    Storage #22 x Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
    CPU CoolerCoolermaster Liquid Pro Master 360
    CaseEVGA DG-87 Gunmetal Grey Gaming Case
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Gold Power
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
    Mouse Corsair Gaming Sabre RGB Gaming Mouse
    Headset ARCTIS Pro Wireless
    Mouse Pad Cooler Master MP750 RGB Cloth Gaming Mouse Pad Extra Large
    OS Windows 10 64bit Pro
    Network RouterRT-AC87U

Quote Originally Posted by jimsky View Post
    ...has work seamlessly for many years.
    Any ideas - it’s a great machine ...
    PS sometimes the codes do rest on other numbers like 40
    Lash out, go buy it new BIOS battery, replace it and see if this fixes the issue. wonderful puzzling things happen when the bios battery is not quite dead enough to wipe all the settings in the BIOS and show it's the issue.

ROG Junior Member Array

Really appreciate the quick response - I’ll try that. I also note that if I press the MEM OK button the final resting Q Code is 32 which I think points to the CPU being the problem. Tried reseating it again but no joy. Jim