cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Asus Buy B-Grade Panels ?

Dicehunter
Level 10
So in the last few years I went through 5 x PG278Q's due to various issues, Then I moved onto the PG279Q, I went through 7 x PG279Q's all of which had minor to some very severe issues and now I moved onto the PG27UQ of which I have gone through 2 x of them.

All of these monitors share 1 common problem, All of them over time developed dead pixels, Why ? These monitors are not cheap, I can only come to 1 conclusion, Asus buy B-grade panels to maximise profit, I cannot think of any other reason.

I know you guys at Asus don't like communicating with your customers, Even though you want thousands of dollars for some of your products, But I think it's time to start opening your mouths and start talking.

6 REPLIES 6

Psycrow
Level 11
OMG !!

It is like my nightmare now..i had the same problem with the asus 2 k monitor..4+ RMA.
Now i bought the pg27uq and im on my 7 th monitor from that "Letmerepair" factory from asus.

I had problems like Random HZ rates changed after reboot. Then i had mouse pointer problems turning invisible or change colours. HDR not working right.
Then i had over 5 dead pixels, then i had 8 dead pixels and dents/scratches in the frame/bezel. Then there was visible vertical gray bars..
There also was 1 monitor that looked fine..until i found a huge dead pixel that was some huge dirt stain behind the panel.

But the one monitor i recieved was in so horrible shape, that it had over 8 dead pixels..some was red pixels. And the bezel/monitor case was open in the sides because something was broken so it could not click and lock the monitor case in place. Also it was full of scratches and dents like they found the monitor in a container and shipped it to me for fun. I was surprised there was no dead cat inside the monitor...

It is because Asus refurbish the monitors you RMA.
So if i had a broken monitor and you had a broken monitor, then they would take the parts out of these 2 monitors and try to create a frankenstein monster monitor. Like some necromancer.

And yes year 2020 and still dead pixels is a huge issue...amazing

Im trying to reason with asus to have , Maybe they can find me 1 unbroken monitor or demanding my money back.
It has been 1 year since i bought the monitor and now it has dropped alot in price.

BigJohnny
Level 13
I own 2 ASUS monitors. PG279Q and PG349Q Bought both when they were new releases and not a single problem from either.
Ive seen but two problems from IPS panels
One is people who crank out the brightness and backlight then max contrast and set a static black image and to to a pitch black room and complain about back light bleed. Personally I dont put a static black image up with settings Ill never use in a pitch black room Ill never sit in to measure a panels performance.

The other is bad luck from RMA process due to the above mentioned issue. You never know what you will get and how bad it has been handled. Its their option to send you back nothing more than the same model you sent in. I can remember New Egg with hundreds of open box IPS panels on sale over the ""IPS bleed"

If you are really having this many true to live issues, id be calling in an exorcist as Ive not even owned that many panels in my 30+ years in the PC building hobby let alone had a single one that died or a dead/stuck pixel. Just recently retired my first 20 year old Sony to old age. display just too dim now.

People have opened their mouths plenty. Some time back they even gave free gsync to some laptop models and the moaning that went on with a nice gesture and free service nixed ever doing something like that again.

Best advice I can offer is to buy from a source that has a long liberal return/exchange policy and return to the store instead of sending it in for repair. Seen too many horror stories from ALL manufactures with the RMA process. Some people send in pristine items to get beat up junk that performs worse than what they sent in. Anything from displays to desktops and GPUs and like I said this goes for all manufactures.

Sorry to hear about the ever looming black cloud over your PC desk.

Psycrow
Level 11
"Best advice I can offer is to buy from a source that has a long liberal return/exchange policy and return to the store instead of sending it in for repair. Seen too many horror stories from ALL manufactures with the RMA process. Some people send in pristine items to get beat up junk that performs worse than what they sent in. Anything from displays to desktops and GPUs and like I said this goes for all manufactures. "

I totaly did that !

I had 90 days of return when i bought it.
The 2 first monitors had dead pixels already from the start. Then i got the 3rd monitor that looked fine and had 0 dead pixels like i should be.
Then with in the 90 days i dident have any problems until i started to notice the monitor started to change HZ rate when i made reboot. This happend randomly.
So with in these 90 days i made a RMA on my gfx card because i think it was broken. Then after 90 days i found out it was the monitor. But now the store would not give
me a new monitor, also they reffered me to contact asus RMA because that was the method they would use. So it was saving me time doing it my self.

I regret that because im using all my sparetime to write emails and RMA with asus and call em..btw forget calling asus supporters..they cant help you and are out of service mindet reach.

Im so tired of this allready...it sthe 7-8 monitor i must RMA and inthe mean while i heard the PG27UQX will be released..also the price on pg27uq has dumped down alot after 1 year
but i still fiddle with the RMA so they should pay be back the price dump...

Chris99
Level 7
Dicehunter wrote:
So in the last few years I went through 5 x PG278Q's due to various issues, Then I moved onto the PG279Q, I went through 7 x PG279Q's all of which had minor to some very severe issues and now I moved onto the PG27UQ of which I have gone through 2 x of them.

All of these monitors share 1 common problem, All of them over time developed dead pixels, Why ? These monitors are not cheap, I can only come to 1 conclusion, Asus buy B-grade panels to maximise profit, I cannot think of any other reason.

I know you guys at Asus don't like communicating with your customers, Even though you want thousands of dollars for some of your products, But I think it's time to start opening your mouths and start talking.

I'm pretty sure it is something like this. I had a PG258Q that had bad flickering lines. I sent it for RMA and now the replacement has flickering lines and the occasional line down the left side issue. I contacted them a second time. They sent my issue to a level three tech. The level three tech said they already fixed my monitor... I guess his tech knowledge didn't tell him that they could have sent me yet another defective monitor... In the end, I will not buy another monitor from Asus. I had an Acer monitor a while back and it never had any issues.

mdzcpa
Level 12
I would agree with Big Johnny. Anyone have THAT many monitor issues is best to make some changes, like double checking the wiring in the house or just going to another brand. There is no doubt that some customers get the occasional bad monitor. It's gonna happen. But 7-8 monitors? I've been through 8 Asus panels in the last 5 years between myself, my wife, and my 2 boys, and we have had 1 panel with 1 lazy pixel. 7 others pristine and still running strong. I've sold 2 of them in perfect condition as we upgraded. I would suspect that I'd have seen more problems if Asus was running sub quality panels all day long. There is no doubt some models have a bad run and the forums fill up with complaints, but that's not been the norm.

To the OP...I would go with another brand and call it a day.

sacrem
Level 7
I fully agree Dicehunter. My experience with ASUS monitors is terrible and really far away from what a high end product shoud be.
- PG279Q: 4 monitors returned with pixels defects. In most of the cases you don't need to try your best to see the defective pixels. They are noticeable with a normal overview of the screen. I decided then to jump into...
- PG278QR: The 6th monitor was the only one with no defective pixels.
- PG27UQ: Returned twice with dead pixels (2000 euros monitor: no way!!)

I get all of them in Amazon. They even asked me to explain the high rate of returns in the period.

Definitely, there is something extremely wrong in the quality control done by these guys.

On the other hand, I have get tons of devices with LCD screens and the problems with dead pixels is quite unusual.

I am trying to move into a different manufacturer. My chances to return monitors in Amazon are running out...