cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VII Hero m.2 SSD HELP!!

alucke23
Level 7
i am trying to install windows 10 on my Crosshair VII Hero with a WD sn750 500GB m.2 2280 SSD. i have tried everything i have found on the internet to see, and nothing is working. I have the 2901 bios version. I cannot for the life of me, get windows 10 to install on the m.2 ssd. Does anyone have any suggestions? any help would be appreciated.

alucke
12 REPLIES 12

RedSector73
Level 12
Here is the procedure for install of windows on nvme drive.

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in, I don't think this would work with previous versions.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives. Typically you don't put anything on SATA port 1 as this is now reserved for the NVME drive and may cause a conflict.

Hope you find this of help.

that did not work. Windows setup could not find any drivers.

alucke23 wrote:
that did not work. Windows setup could not find any drivers.

Windows 10 has a built in driver (that works with your m2), what version of windows / 10 are you trying to install ?

Your done something wrong or hardware issue, if the above procedure does not work, this is correct one for any ASUS board.

I was trying to install Windows 10 Enterprise 1909. should i install pro?

alucke23 wrote:
I was trying to install Windows 10 Enterprise 1909. should i install pro?

No that should work. Is the M2 showing in the bios ?

it was originally now its not. And It was a brand new m.2 ssd i received today.

alucke23 wrote:
it was originally now its not. And It was a brand new m.2 ssd i received today.

Well you have the right procedure now, and going to have to investigate what sounds like hardware fault / dud to find a solution, i would suggest. Sorry not much else I can say.

i bought a WD sn750 WDS500G3XHC by mistake instead of buying the version before that, the WDS500G2X0C.

ordered and received WDS500G2X0C ssd, which is on the QVL. The bios would see it, but the Windows 10 setup could not find it. I even went through ASus tech support. I guess I'll settle with a m.2 2280 SATAIII ssd. Are the steps the same to get Windows 10 to install on a m.2 SATAIII ssd?

alucke23