cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS motherboard/graphics cards problem

GHUGH27432155
Level 7
Been having problems with my first PC. Bought an ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming motherboard and an ASUS Dual RTX 2060 OC graphics card. The issue I'm currently having is that when I use the latest Nvidia drivers for the card I can't run my PCI slot in Gen 3. When I try it gets to the windows loading screen then goes black and all my peripherals turn off but if I switch my PCI slot to Gen 2 it runs perfectly fine.
I thought it would be the motherboard, but an old 660 runs fine in it with Gen 3 enabled. Any other computer I try the RTX on it runs fine in Gen 3
5 REPLIES 5

RedSector73
Level 12
what motherboard bios are you running / full system spec might help as well
what version of windows, in search type 'cmd' and 'ver' to get that information.

did this just happen at the time you updated the driver, did a driver rollback allow it to work ?

edit. The EATX12V (8 pin power above the cpu, on the left) is that plugged in (if you have psu where it can be disconnected check both ends) ?

I'm heading to bed, off the top of my head, make sure you have the latest amd chipset driver
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x470

and look back tomorrow and help if someone else has not already.

Running AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
32gb Teamgroup 3200 DDR4
Samsung EVO 500gb
Cooler Master Gold 750w

Windows Version [Version 10.0.18362.418]
BIOS: 2801

I checked every power supply cord, moved them to different ports. Tried another power supply from a friends computer

Just started happening. I've had two of these graphics cards, the first one went 'Code 43' but I got that replaced under warranty

nothing is jumping out to me to suggest. I not seen an issue like you describe before.

BigJohnny
Level 13
What happens when you roll back the drivers?
Have you tried updating to 2901 BIOS.
Im thinking the latest 1903 along with latest drivers and older microcode could be a culprit that caught up with latest drivers.
newest BIOS log says fixed display issue but unfortunately they are not always complete as to what was done. Actually quite the opposite with lines like improved performance. They should be more descript but this has never happened before and I dont expect it to start any time soon.

Do you have anything else plugged into PCIE? are there any sharing conflicts making it default to Gen 2?